Microsoft's acquisition of Activision and what it means for Gaming

Having grown up on Gaming and grown out of it sometime around 2014. Microsoft’s recent series of acquisitions hit quite close to home so thought I would do a write-up on it.

The major reason for getting disillusioned with the industry was not one of the usually cited reasons that Gaming is a time-sink, or a form of escapism, or low hanging dopamine. That is all present in a hundred other things as well.What it actually was, is that Gaming had over the years turned from something created as a labour of love, to a penny pinching, cash-grabbing, playing it safe industry.

Just like movies, tv shows and other forms of entertainment. Gaming had become a corporate sport, which focused on the lowest common denominator and optimised for that. The final nail in the coffin being the rise of mobile games, which set the benchmark so low, there was no going back ever again. (End of Rant.)

Gaming since has done insanely well as an industry. It is larger than all forms of entertainment industries combined. It can call upon the entire human population as its user base thus the room to grow is still very large in size.

Some Facts behind the deal:

• The $200+ billion gaming industry is the largest and fastest-growing form of entertainment.

• In 2021 alone, the total number of video game releases was up 64% compared to 2020 and 51% of players in the U.S. reported spending more than 7 hours per week playing across console, PC and mobile.

• ~3 billion people globally play video games today on one of the various platforms, which is expected to grow to 4.5 billion by 2030.

• Microsoft will acquire Activision Blizzard for $95.00 per share, in an all-cash transaction valued at $68.7 billion, inclusive of Activision Blizzard’s net cash.

• When the transaction closes, Microsoft will become the world’s third-largest gaming company by revenue, behind Tencent and Sony.

• Previously Microsoft acquired ZeniMax Media for $7.5 billion in cash through which it ended up the Elder Scrolls, Fallout and other big revenue generating IPs and of course Minecraft in 2014’s blockbuster deal of $2.5 Billion, which has paid many times over since.

• Here is the list of every single Gaming Studio Microsoft now either directly or indirectly owns : Every game and studio Microsoft now owns | PC Gamer

• Microsoft’s deal with Activision could raise eyebrows over anti-competitive fears. How that will play out is yet to unfold. So far, no one has attempted to build a monopoly in gaming by throwing money to buy out rivals so this is new even for regulators.

Preparation for Metaverse ?

Well, why even say anything about now when “Non-Metaverse Gaming”, whatever that means, is already such a productive cashcow. But yes, if it came to that, Microsoft would find itself with something of a first mover advantage. Personally I don’t think the tech is ready or accessible for the visions of the meta-versa. This idea has been done to death in sci-fi since the beginning of the genre, and yet all we have to show for it in 2022, is wearing a bulky box around and do everything you can do on a screen with extra steps. But yeah, come 2040 or something we can finally have ourselves ultimate escapism. The joys of forgetting that life is hard and requires effort while talking to strangers about who has more memecoins. Works.

3 Likes

Apparently this deal is the biggest deal in the gaming industry, ever. Activision,is the company behind Call of Duty and World of Warcraft. To add to that Microsoft is also willing to pay a termination fee of $2.5 billion, in case they fail to close the deal.

Seems like they are betting big on gaming!

2 Likes

Absolutely this deal may start an acquisition arms race in this industry. Microsoft buying studios like it has a shopping list. EA, Sony and Nintendo currently have no answers to this.If they wait too long, all the good deals will be gone in the next few years. Although 70 B sounds big, it is just 0.03% of Microsoft’s market cap, so there is no reason to stop until the federal committee starts asking them questions

I wouldn’t be surprised if the next trophy deal is to acquire Take-Two, the owner of Rockstar Games. The Holy Grail studio of gaming. Microsoft has tried it once before but didn’t move forward with it. Take-two about to receive a lot of calls from a lot of companies most like.

Conversations with Metaverse.mp4

“You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it”

Did anyone else feel the chill or am i the only one.

1 Like

Until this conversation, mass effect was okay-ish and repetitive. Then everything changed and we had a very good antagonist.
As good as 2 and 3 were, they downgraded Reapers as threat vs 1. Low point being the shepherd vs reaper solo fight in ME2 which was really stupid. Great great series.

1 Like

We are living in ME2 right now. Be it anything : Becoming a space faring civilization, protecting against climate change, becoming post-scarcity. We know reapers are coming, and we have died once before, but no, we would rather spend the whole ME2 solving NPC issues and working for “The Illusive Man” only to take action when Harbinger has arrived.

hehe, Harbinger was a joker.
I will direct this personally :slight_smile:

Anyway, reapers aside, 2 and 3 were great and much improved over 1. Party missions were great.
I should play them again in future, but i still have not played dragon age yet …

1 Like

Great. I played them and have never financially recovered from that blow. Dragon Age series should just be called Origins.

Rendered footage of you-know-who if he tapered Soxial Media usage by 1 second everyday.

Absolutely nothing at all :

Le French : :white_flag: