Mutual Funds Invest Cycle

Hi, I am planning for direct invest on Balanced Fund on long term. I would like to know some details to have a better knowledge before starting.

1. If I am investing for 10 Years, What will be the Tax when I cash out at the end?
  2. If I invest 5k for 6 years and want to pause it for next 6 months for some reason, will there be any problems?
  3. I have read ELSS funds must be locked in for 3 years min. Does it support long terms(10 Years)?
  4. If I plan to invest for 10 Years and for some reason if i want to cash out after 4-5 years, will there be any penalty (and additional taxes).?

Please clarify :slight_smile:

Depends on which category of funds you invest in. The taxation is different for equity, debt, hybrid and arb funds.
For Equity funds, it is 10% LTCG
For Debt funds, it is 20% for long term and short term gains will be taxed based on your personal income slab.
For Arbitrage funds, it is 10% for long terms and 15% for short term.
For Hybrid balanced funds, it is 10% for long-term and 15% for short term. For hybrid Monthly Income Plans (MIP) 20% for long term and short terms taxation is based on your personal income slab.

No.

ELSS funds are an just like a normal equity fund. The only difference is that ELSS funds have a lock-in of 3 years and you get a tax benefit of up to Rs.1,50,000 under section 80C. Once the lock-in expires it’s just like a normal equity fund and you can either continue to hold it or redeem it. Just because the lock-in expires doesn’t mean the fund will shut down.

No.

Hi Sanket, Thanks for the clarification… I’ve another qn,

1. after some period , if wan to change the amount, is that possible? Eg, if I start SIP with 7k pm and say after 5 years, can I change it to 5K pm??

Yep. Click on pencil icon to edit your SIP amount