My stop loss sell orders are not getting executed

I am using nest trader.

When i place SL buy order with limit price and trigger price as 433. And when the price crosses 433, the order turns from trigger pending to open, but it doesn’t get executed. And the price increases more than 433. This had 4-5 times now. What could be the reason?

Am I placing the order wrongly.(I want to buy it when the price reaches 433).

Is it due to my internet connection, that my trigger is slow.

Or any problem with nest trader.

Check this post on SL orders. 

My guess is that you are placing a SL order with trigger and limit price. So basically when the trigger is hit, a limit order is sent with the price you have mentioned. There is no guaranteed execution if it is a limit order. 

If you want a guaranteed fill, use SL-M order with a trigger price. As soon as the trigger is hit, a market order is sent to buy the stock. 

1 Like

You should not set limit price and trigger price as same. You should sufficient gap between limit price and trigger price such that your order will execute in between.

Most probability of executing close to Trigger Price and executes not beyond your limit price. If price crosses limit price quickly, it will be either partially executed or not executed at all.

You should check for liquidity to set this gap between limit and trigger price. The more liquid the stock is, the closer can be difference. The less liquid the stock is, you should keep a wider range.

It is buy order not sell order.

Hi Nitihin,
I place same type of order in Z5 and it always gets executed. But in nest trader I am facing this issue.

I guess Nithin is right. For shares that show multiple tick movements within a short span of time, the limit order may not get triggered. Now Zerodha doesn’t allow us SL-M orders if it is a BO. This is so infuriating because we end up unable to capture rapid market movements after a breakout.

Not us, exchange won’t allow as BO is algo and for algo market orders are not allowed.

Oh ok :frowning:

Today my market buy order got cancelled 3 times, showing order out of execution range error. As I understand it, it happened because of rapid price movement beyond 20rs(in BN option) in a minute in the underlying. It cost me a big unneeded loss.

So I’m wondering if it applies to SL-M orders also, if price moves rapidly beyond the trigger in less than a minute and more than 20rs execution range will the SL -M show as cancelled and not get executed ?

Is it really guaranteed everytime ?

This can happen, maybe not everytime but during high volatility. You can read this article which will help you understand this better with an explanation.

So what’s the best practice to avoid this happening ?

What should we do to avoid losses like this ?

Should we use limit orders with wide trigger and sell or buy price range ? In volatile situations ?

There is not much which can be done in this scenario. In the workaround you have mentioned in this case as well if price moves rapidly your Stoploss order will still be outside execution range.