New feature - Account value curve on Console

A graph would be helpful if it can plot total-invested vs account-value (total-invested is sum of total pay-ins minus pay-outs)

The new update of kite desktop is pleasing aesthetically but literally F**** up in terms of usability. You people have literally ruined the simplicity and fluidity. For starters you have made everything a little puffed up, far from the compactness it deserves. And most importantly why does clicking everything don’t do exactly it did earlier, click funds you get this, click charts tab it does this… Just WHY?

No changes from our end, maybe refresh the page and check again, if still facing any issue you can create ticket.

because you have done right click instead of left click…

@siva, has something changed in the Console? The P n L figure for per day is totally messed up, but the realised P n L figure seems to be correct.

@Nakul @TheGouda can you check.

If you’re referring to the P&L heatmap, this is being checked. If it is not the case, could you please DM a screenshot and your client ID?

Yeah, the heatmap only…

I have been trading since the past six years and lately my trading frequency has all but multiplied and on an average place over 30-40 trades on a daily basis. Thanks for the heads up but I don’t think my muscle memory couldn’t differentiate between right and left click all of a sudden. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Certainly u hv either issue with mouse or keyboard. Pls check. Flexing muscles or memory may indeed not help. :wink:

1 Like

On Firefox, for the order buy/sell widget, the mouse does not turn to pointer to increase/decrease the Qty or price. It works fine on Chrome. @siva Can this be fixed for firefox?

No, bug is from firefox end, in their latest update this issue is there, you can use chrome or firefox older version. Firefox only can fix this in next update.

@nithin @siva @Prayag i am a bit confused on how this calculation is done ? is not adding the pledged holding & account margin double counting ?
Also, i am confused as to why the cash balance always shows a higher negative number ?
Account shows margin available as 12 + lakhs. does that mean i can take positions worth that much ? (paying interest for half the amount as it is 100 % collateral ) if that is the case, the negative cash balance should be a maximum of half of 12+ lakhs right ?

does negative cash balance means , i will be charged interest on the negative balance shown ?
can u please elaborate on this? if this is already answer, can someone direct me to that, i could not find the answer even after searching for it many times.
Also, the following is also puzzling

what does withdrawable balance of negative -2+ lakhs mean ?

Additional dumb question: does 21.34 lakh in the above figure mean that if i sell everything today i get that much amount ?

@Nakul Should let you know in sometime.

@Nakul heycan you lease clarify. it is puzzling and is confusing

@siva @nithin @Nakul @ShubhS9 sorry to tag again, but this still remains unanswered even after many days

@Nakul can we create a detailed support article on this and link as help on console dashboard so these questions don’t arise.

@Ratna_sai_kosuru I will try to answer this whatever info u have posted above.

1. While doing the account value calculation, which essentially is the total cash you will get if you square off everything (21.34 lks) we calculate the total value of pledged holdings and subtract the collateral margin (the margin you get from pledging). So this won’t end up as double margin.

2. For any position that you hold, you need to bring 50% in cash and 50% in collateral margin. The cash balance showing a negative number means that for that much value of the position you haven’t brought in any cash of your own.

3. We allow you to take positions for the entire collateral margin. So if account margin is showing 12.37lks, you can take position for that amount. But since you don’t have any cash, you will end up being charged interest on the entire amount.

4. @Nakul why is withdrawable showing -2.21 lks and not -7.36lks?

@Ratna_sai_kosuru can you private message Nakul and me your client ID?

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the reply. i highly appreciate the approach of solving the problem for all even if just one customer is facing the issue.

These two things are clear.

i am still struggling to reconcile this. i might be over simplifying the things.
lets us assume entire 12.37lkh is collateral and zero cash. then now that i didnot bring in liquid money on to the table, 50 % is provided by zerodha, which should be 12.37/2 = 6.2. why is it more than that ?

one other issue i observed is the account value changed drastically after the period i have posted this. let me explain this by screen shots. these are taken @sunday june 20th 2021
screen shot 1

1. account value dropped by more than 2.5 lakhs wth in 4-5 days, without any corresponding losses in the account due to trading or drop in holding value. in fact profit was booked before some shares dropped significantly. i didnt withdraw any money and money is the account itself. what can explain this drop ?
    Is my value being influenced by short option premium and long option premium ? if so short option premium is not my money per se. i will not be able to get that amount (shown as account value) when i liquidate the account today right ?

screenshot 2

the span margin and exposure margin is credited and debited daily. But since it is a ledger, it only deals in cash right ?
where is the accounting done for the 50 % collateral ? ( i understand that the calculations are right in the back end as i can verify the same from the interest i am charged for the cash short fall. the only thing is it is confusing when we see such large negative cash balances and scares the shit out of me. it takes a little time to come back to senses)
screen shot 3

this is confusing when i see all the screen shots in one go. i am being told there is negative balance and Account margin is 10.96 lakh in console. i come to kite and i see i have 2.44 lakhs margin in addition to 10.7 lakh.

i realise it is Too long, but i am just looking for better understanding. please help me out.

@Ratna_sai_kosuru I’m not able to match these numbers with the account id you’ve given me on DM. I’ve messaged you seeking more details.

The account margin shows you the margin requirement for the positions you are holding. This value will match with the SPAN and Exposure blocked on the funds statement.

With the account value, we are trying to show you what will be the cash in your trading account if you squared off all your holdings and positions. This will not really show you the shortfall in the cash component if you are trading with collateral. We have a separate field called the Available Cash for this very reason on the Kite funds page. This shows you if you’ve utilised excess collateral and if there’s any shortfall in the cash component.

I won’t be able to comment on the specifics because I don’t have the account details. But I can tell you what could have caused a drop in the account value. Below are some of the keep points you need to remember when looking at the account value:

1. The account value is calculated by taking the current value of holdings and positions. When long option positions go up in value, your account value will also go up. And, when short options positions go up in value, your account value will go down because you will need to spend that much more to close the position.

2. The funds statement doesn’t include collateral margins provided. So if the closing balance is negative, it doesn’t always mean that you have a shortfall in cash. As stated above, collateral margins can’t be added to the funds statement itself. For this reason, the effect of collateral is taken separately in the form of pledged holding value.

But you are right here about this being complex to understand in the current way we are displaying things. We’ll try to have relevant explanations and make this easier to understand for clients. :slight_smile:

As long options can be brought from the premium received through short selling, i think it is not right to consider the amount (long options + short options) in the account value calculation.
let us take the following example -
i have 12 lakhs worth of holdings. haircut is 20 % so i have a margin of 10 lakhs. zero cash
now with the margin i went and implemented a strategy which gave me a premium of 2.5 lakhs by blocking a margin of 9 lakhs
i also went long in some options which are of value 1.5 lakhs
Account value = cash balance + margin blocked +equity holding value +mutual funds +pledged holdings + long options - short options
AC=0 + 9 + 0 + 0 + 3 + 1.5 -2.5 = 11 ?? but if i square off now i should get 12 lakhs ryt ?
or did i assume anything wrong?