No additional intraday leverages from Aug 2021 in Indian capital markets

Why cant a broker use his own capital for providing leverage. Since it is between the broker and the trader what happens at this end it is really unfair that this is not allowed. It is possible that this could be raised to the SEBI again.

Secondly, if their have been malpractices why hamper an entire community because of malpractices of a few.

Thirdly, this will be very unfavourable for the retail investor since option writing/selling will require huge margin. Unfortunately people may be pushed to option buy or other strategies or risking positional trades and playing into the hands of stock market big guns.

Instead of safeguarding the interests of the retail investors don’t you think SEBI is putting them at a high risk because they will use a big capital to take a position and may loose all.

Request you as the leading and top brokerage firm to take the issues, concerns of the retail investors to SEBI and find a solution for them :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks in Advance.

2 Likes

So basically there will be nothing like intraday in Options Selling/Writing or Buying since the amount to be paid upfront will be full. It will be like a normal position. Is there any way around this for retail traders ?

Yes.

There is no workaround to this.

India is the only country in the world where initial margin charged in the F&O segment consists of three margins. All other countries charge only SPAN margin

2 Likes

Is there absolutely any ray of hope , with talks and tone of SEBI ? @nithin @siva
That we may be able to get leverage Intraday for Index Option Selling.
Their intention is originally towards Cash segment.

1. Maybe Peak Margin reporting would be needed for Var+ELM only , only for Cash Segment. Not for FnO.

Are Brokers /Trader/ representations completely powerless in front of SEBI.
What is the appeal being planned by Brokers against this.
Are propsals being presented to them :

1. Declaring trades MIS upfront , MIS risk calculation would be different from Overnight risk calculated in Var+ELM or Span+Exposure.
  2. Using Brokerlevel CoverOrder/StopLoss Order setups / Money assurance by Broker
  3. Broker Assurance that its not another Clients fund

Can we have any positive news in this / any hope ?

I am against Over-Leveraging and against Under-Leveraging , I determine the PositionSize as per my Drawdown tolerance and MoneyNeeded to take trade.

@zerodha might be at a disadvantage if traders start using Far-OTM hedge as an alternate to Naked selling to reduce margin , considering they are blocked in Zerodha (being largest broker).

1 Like

99.9%, there is no hope of anything changing.

This is for both cash and derivatives.

1 Like

To all those who are having panic attack due to this issue as very livelihood is in question, I know, that you are desperately searching for some way forward.
I suggest you sit on “Amaran Uposhan” infront of SEBI office.
I most graciously am ready to fund it. I will pay for pandaal, Bichhayat, Sound system, Posters, Banners etc .
In return you will be required to “share your trading strategy
:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :upside_down_face:
If your strategy is so secret that only nuclear codes of US are more secret than this, then you should rather sell it to some hedge fund for millions and retire early.
Kaiko iss SEBI-Bebi ke zamele mein padna.

3 Likes

The mad bull Don’t care about commen sense talks do u think they’ll change their decisions just bcuz some low capital retailers doing uposhan…:rofl:

That’s why I called for fast unto death. Marna toh hai hi. Aise maro ya waise.

4 Likes

I still believe that there is a ray of hope left. SEBI chief’s (Mr. Ajit Tyagi) tenure is going to end by August 2020. Once the new Chief appointed if all the brokerage firms try seriously things may move in a positive direction. Right now, it is a loss-loss situation for both brokerages and retailers.

3 Likes

What is the exact penalty on non-payment of upfront margins. Is it in terms of money or what ? It should not result in a scenario where some brokerages continue to give margins by extracting the monetary penalty from the traders !.

Between 0.5 to 5% of the shortfall amount. Brokers can’t offer this and charge penalty, they will get pulled up by the regulator.

That’s the main issue, if people will bring in more funds that’ll be same as positional, they’ll carry the position thinking funds are being used same for intraday as well and gap up/down will wipe the capital.

other way is to hedge the position and that doesn’t make sense for intraday so you’ll carry positions anyways. and there comes an issue with zerodha not allowing strikes to be bought to hedge. so you’re stuck if trading only on zerodha you’ve no chance of doing anyworkaround as to hedge the far otm strike would’ve been blocked for buying.

1 Like

this is my biggest and the only problem with zerodha right now. sometimes they gives range of mere 200 points. that’s insane! they’re practically saying move to other broker, we’ve our hands full and reached OI limit. @nithin have to do something about this as they don’t have control over SEBI, atleast allowing far OTM strikes would help hedge and reduce margin requirements drastically.

Just open an account with literally any other popular broker buddy, problem solved

I’ve already done that but zerodha’s system is smooth and simple. would love to do all the trading on it, it wasn’t a choice but had to move to other broker due to OI restrictions.

I have also heard that Intraday will not be there after August 2021. Is this true?

same, moved to fyers…still not zerodha’s fault in this case

Did you read the first post in this thread?