Notice from IT ‐ Rectify the defect in your Return of Income

Dear all,

I have received the following notice from IT Dept. Grateful if someone can please guide.

Reason
The gross receipts shown in Form 26AS are higher than the total of the receipts shown under all heads of income, on which credit for TDS has been claimed, in the return of income filed. Thus, while credit for TDS is being claimed in the return of income, the corresponding receipts are not fully disclosed in the respective income schedules. Hence, the return of income filed is regarded as defective, as per clause (a) of the Explanation under section 139(9).

Probable Resolution
The defect may be corrected by filing a corrected return and disclosing the complete receipts, as per Form 26AS. Alternatively, the claim of TDS may be made corresponding to the extent of income/receipts disclosed in the return. Please note that Credit for the TDS is allowable to the person in whose hands the income is assessable and in the year (AY) in which such income is assessable (Rule 37BA). Also note that if the defect is not corrected with-in the time allowed, return will be processed and the credit for TDS will be allowed proportionately.

Reconcile your return with 26as. If you think there’s is some wrong entry in 26as contact the deductor and get it rectified from their end

1 Like

Thank you

A rectification request under section 154(1) is allowed by the Income Tax Department for correcting mistakes when there is an apparent mistake in your Income Tax Return.

Just see that your 26AS matches with both the income you have declared and the tds claimed.

1 Like

Got it, thanks

Hi,

even i have got the same reply. can you suggest me how to go about it ? i’m from non commerce background hence little weak in this …

Update - got it checked by a CA. Filed a response that my return was correct in all aspects.