Peak margin, Intraday leverages, & 2nd order effects - Dec 1st 2020

You have buy and sell shares on same day.

See MIS option in kite.

Can you share image of warnings ?

1 Like

If you are squaring-off a position and after exiting that position if the portfolio margin is going to increase we show the margin required for that exiting leg on the order form which tells you the portfolio margin used will go up by that amount, you can refer to this support article to know more.

1 Like

"If you sell stocks from your Demat or T1(BTST), going forward, only 80% credit against the sale value will be available for subsequent trades in the same/other segments on the selling day. "

If I have other pledged holdings, can I use that as my margin & not provide margin in cash? If I have sufficient pledged holdings then can I make a purchase for 20% of the sale value on the same day?

1 Like

Not allowed, pledged margin is for fno trading only.

You can now see the 20% margin blocked from the sale of your holdings in the Delivery Margin section on both Kite Web and Kite Mobile. For more information, you can refer to this post.

Assume you have sold 50 shares of ZEEL at Rs 211.15. The value of holdings sold is Rs 10557.50 i.e. 50 x 211.15 (ignoring charges).

Out of the Rs 10557.50, 80% credit (i.e. Rs. 8446) is available as a negative balance under the used margin field. You can use this negative used margin for other trades. The balance 20% credit (i.e. Rs. 2111.50) is blocked under the delivery margin field as shown below:

1 Like

great to see the peak margin notification alert on my mobile app today. Users now will be well aware beforehand how margins would be available on T and T+1 day.

For blocked fund(20%), i will look forward to see that feature in my account.

thumbs up to zerodha for such a fast moving mechanics.

@ShubhS9 what is 2nd order statement. I didn’t get it.

Can you elaborate?

You can also go through the above linked post to understand everything in detail.

Is this related to Intraday Equity ?

It is about both intraday equity as well as F&O.

I read everything. I just don’t understand 2nd order effect.

It is about Margin reporting, earlier brokers used to report margins at the EOD, now Clearing Corporation will take snapshots throughout the trading hours to ensure there are sufficient margins available for the trade.

Profit will settle on T+2 day. It is going to be settle before market open on T+2 day ?

Yes, this will be available for use on T+2 day.

Margin calculator shows 60K requirement for buying 4 lots 30000 CE and selling 4 lots 31000 CE. But in reality after buying 4 lots CE it is not allowed to sell 4 lots CE though I have more than 1 lakh in my account. What am doing wrong? Please clarify…

Margin displayed on margin calculator does not include the amount of premium you have to pay to take Long Option position. You will have to add the amount (Premium * Lot Size) needed to purchase the Options to the 60k margin.

I only do delivery based positional trades with full amount. My question is why my 20% funds are blocked when I sell from my demat. What’s the logic of this concept? Why should I wait for 1 day to get my own funds?

Why is no brokers, investors and big investors not against such nonsense rules.

This is due to peak margin reporting, brokers are now required to block 20% of selling credit as margin until we can debit the shares from your Demat and make it available to the Clearing Corporation (Early payin or EPI), which typically will happen only after the market closes on a trading day.
This rule is same across brokers.

1 Like

I generally trade in Options. Its been a week since Peak Margin Reporting implementation. How would a Client know what is his Peak Margin Utilisation. No Report for the same is received by us. Also Nothing about Penalty % mentioned. What I have understood is Adhoc Penalty would be levied without any Calculation support and Client would be helpless as No Report for Peak margin would be provided.

Am I Right?