Peak margin, Intraday leverages, & 2nd order effects - Dec 1st 2020

If you buy something you need pay taxes right? we don’t charge for eq buying for delivery most others charge so leave some 50 rs and buy for rest.

What shall be avoided. If I trade Intraday. During intraday I sell shares and the sale proceeds can be used to trade in different stock?

Can you read the thread from start if you haven’t.

And what about selling of shares?

Would suggest you read this post, everything has been explained in detail.

I am holding a position from previous day using product type as NRML, but today I need more margins to do intraday trading, how do i do it?

As an example, I have bought Nifty futures yesterday and because I am carrying it overnight, it will be showing under the product type as NRML. As an NRML product type, it will be blocking Rs 160000(complete overnight margin as per zerodha calculator). As MIS, it would block only Rs 80000, so what if you want to convert from NRML to MIS to get Rs 80000 free margin to take other positions.

So, if I am holding overnight position and want extra margins, convert them to MIS and if I want to carry them overnight again convert back to NRML as mentioned above.That is possible after this peak margin rule ?

1 Like

Yes that still works

Thank you for the reply

sir i am intraday trader and i prefer and use equity cash segment for trading…my question is after september 2021 …will i get same leverage in cash segment as now get. eg. I am getting 9x leverage in GAIL right now…2nd question is cash equity segment will be affected or not?

You will get max 5 times leverage from sep2021,please read this thread from the start.

@nithin @siva. I have just 1 question regaring the Intraday margin rule for F & O option selling. Does the risk which is Span+Exposure for intraday option sold same as that of the Overnight position? How is this calculation made. This is totally absurd. Considering the gap up and gap down situations, the risks in carrying an overnight F&O option sold position is far higher. Hence Span+Exposure should be definitely a lot higher as compared to the intraday Span+Exposure. So why does Zerodha show same Span+Exposure for Intraday as well as Overnight positions. Is there some mistake in the calculations. Can you pls explain this?

One more calculation thing in addition to the above. Considering I am selling an option in BNF. Let us say BNF makes a voilent move of 3000 points upside and I did not square off my position. Maximum if I have sold an ITM option I will incur a max loss of 75K. Even after considering worst intraday movements in BNF I need not pay a marging greater than 75k for BNF ITM option sold. (P.S. : I have considered I am dumb enought to hold this position for entire 3k rally)

So how come Intraday Span is such high? Please couls u shed some light on this?

Maybe you should read this thread from the start, we zerodha as a broker won’t decide the margins, these are SEBI rules which are implemented through exchanges and clearing corporations and brokers has to follow them, there is no other way out.

Of course no, risk is much lesser for intraday compared to overnight, we also support this, even Nithin tweeted on this but as said broker has no right to decide.

https://twitter.com/Nithin0dha/status/1397169114825707528

@nithin @siva . I have a doubt. Why cover orders(CO) are not allowed for buying index options due to peak margin regulations although we pay full upfront premium for buying index options?

my cash balance is +ve without stoploss on postions…but after SL on sell/buy side (not executed) it goes negative (zerodhaRMS msg also comes) …will i be charge peak margin penalty for -ve balance? @siva @ShubhS9

No, if order is pending then there would not be any penalty but if hedge leg is traded then there is a chance for penalty.

When would the peak margin penalty be reflected on Console and what is the percentage of fees charged?

Explained above:

You can check the rate at which penalty is charged here.

Just want to know that if I have intra day shortfall for few minutes, can Zerodha charged me penalty if end of day that short fall get nullify? (means positive balance)

Since whenever i have short fall, i receive message from Zerodha that please fund the shortfall or zerodha will square off your position, than how they can charge the penalty?

Penalty is charged by the exchange.

As exchange takes snapshot at random times during trading hours, if there is any shortfall in margin during this time, there will be peak margin penalty applicable.

Would suggest you go through this post for more details:

nifty option bought worth 10k in NRML and sold in NRML intraday , after squaring it if i buy it again for 10k will peak margin will be imposed. (Taking position in NRML instead of MIS in intraday) Even done in " intraday (NRML) " , peak margin will be imposed ?.. And if i do all the mentioned trade in MIS then there is no penalty ? So better to go for MIS instead of NRML if trading for intraday …