Peak margin, Intraday leverages, & 2nd order effects - Dec 1st 2020

hi , isn’t 20% of trade value in intraday equity enough margin , why is zerodha charging more than that today…

@nithin any drop in volumes today because of increased margin

@Shubh59 @siva
Can we get some alert when our fund goes negative intraday, like the global alerts that is pushed on webpage/phone? This can protect us from cases where we accidentally release long position first instead of short in FnO

I believe one will get it even now when total funds go to negative balance.

He will post about it maybe today or observing next few days. Also we need to know today is quite volatile so to get less error we may need to observe few more days.

Siva what we get is an email, not a webpage alert that you see zerodha using to communication to us…
Will be helpful if we get one.

I sold from my demat holdings Rs. 50,000 worth of shares and used that to buy a futures lot which i carried forward next day where total margin for futures was 1,25,000.I also had 95,000 credit in my account from the previous day.

Still I was charged Peak margin penalty on 30,000 i.e 1,25,000 minus 95,000.I did not get the 80% amount demat account sale proceeds benefit…

Why did this happen?..Can you use the demat proceeds only for cash segment and not f&o?

You can use the proceeds received to trade in F&O as well.

Would request you to raise a ticket so our team can check and assist: support.zerodha.com

What are the changes in Peak Margin from 1st March 2021. Can you provide me an example. If I am.trading in equity Intraday & options.

Applicable changes have been explained here.

Sry fr d basic question bt short margin penalty will b on brokers or traders ?

Trader. The broker will not bear the penalty

Is it nt responsibility of broker to collect margin before allowing its client to trade ?

It is but there are cases where trader can bypass those, for example if there is any spread, it may required only 30k to initiate but after position is taken one can close long leg leaving short leg which may required 1.5 lakhs otherwise.
Also users can sell holdings, do intraday fno trade and then buy back sold holding again.

These corner cases should be taken by trader and broker can’t do anything in these.

the peak margin screenshot the exchange takes 4 times a day is…at that moment screenshot or for some minutes screeshot? @siva

I believe it is at that moment.

Is there a way to determine the peak margin penalty of the intraday trades on the same day itself? I have used sell proceeds to do intraday with profit and have bought back the holdings. To know the penalty I need to wait for 10 days+ it seems . Can I figure out exactly using the daily marigin statement issued by zerodha?

Assuming I am having only 20k in my trading account. I want to purchase shares of the 20k amount which is in my trading account. Can I utilize the complete 20k to trade & kip my trading account balance to NIL?

Not possible.

You can but there maybe something you need to pay for charges etc, you can check in brokerage calculator here, so leave some 50 rupees and buy for rest 19950.