Random Assignment of short CTM Position

Hello,

Can I be liable for Random Assignment even if I have a Short Straddle and one of the options ends up in ITM.

What are the probabilities of beings assigned by NSE.

Thanks for your help!

Yes, for your physical settlement obligation to be netted-off, both legs should expire ITM. If one expires OTM and another ITM, then there will be physical settlement.

Would suggest you check out this article, which explains this in detail.

@ShubhS9 thanks for your reply.

I got a message to day, ‘you have a long ITM position …’

ref same article, the margin required Monday morning would show in my Funds>Used Margin? Right now my available is comfortably more than LotSz * (UA Price*1.1) * .1 That should be fine, yes?

Also how does Zerodha treat margins for Position going in and out of ITM?

Thanks.

Hey @starttrade, Can you please post the message you received and the position you have?

The exchange charges physical delivery margins as a percentage of applicable margins (VaR + ELM + Adhoc) of the underlying stock which is levied from expiry minus 4 days for long ITM options. Explained here.

Hi @ShubhS9, can you please answer this, as per the support link, on T-4, i.e. incidentally today (Friday of the week before expiry), the exchange would have asked for higher margin (10% higher at 9:15 AM in the morning), but zerodha did not increase the margin (you only do it on Wednesday). So, in terms of reporting to the exchange if a per client check is done at 9:15 AM today - there will be a shortfall of funds for the client? Isn’t it? Is my understanding correct?

Abhijeet, this is applicable only for Long ITM Options as explained in the support article.

For Futures and Short Option positions, margin will increase to twice of SPAN + Exposure margin on last two days of expiry.

1 Like

Thanks @ShubhS9 for reverting.

Ok. Got it. Let’s keep “Futures and Short Option (Calls & Puts) positions” out of this.

Now, coming back to “Long/Buy option (Calls & Puts) positions”, kindly just answer me, if this is true or not?

Date Position Used Margin As Per Kite Funds Account Value Exchange Shortfall Reported By Zerodha Shortfall Penalty
22-04-2021 3:30 PM (T-5) 10 x CE BUY 150000 150000 0 0
23-04-2021 9:15 AM (T-4) 10 x CE BUY 150000 150000 15000 75

And if it is not correct, kindly fill in this table with correct values. It will go miles … Thanks in advance.

1 Like