Revision in BANKNIFTY Weekly Expiry Options Contract Cycle

NSE has announced that weekly expiry options contracts on the BANKNIFTY index will be reduced from 7 to 4 consecutive weekly expiration contracts (excluding monthly expiry contracts) from January 21, 2022. You can check the announcement from the exchange here.

• All existing weekly expiries will continue to be available for trading till their respective expiry dates.
  • There will be no new weekly expiry (excluding monthly expiry) contracts introduced between January 21, 2022 to March 03, 2022.
  • With effect from March 04, 2022 and onwards, there will be 4 consecutive weekly expiry contracts (excluding monthly expiries) available for trading.

How does this affect me?

This does not affect the positions you hold in any way, this change is only in regards to the reduction of the number of weekly expiries available for trading. Currently, at a time there are 7 weekly expiries for trading, from January 21, 2021 onwards, there will only be 4 weekly expiries available for trading.

i am confused. just tell me this much -
weekly contract for next week will continue to be available, right?
even between jan to march 2022, if it is friday then the contract expiring on coming thursday will be available, right?

Yes, next week’s expiry contract will be available for trading.
As of now, we have 7 weekly contracts. After March 4, 2022 only 4 weekly contracts will be available.

So… from 31stMar2022 onwards, we will have two expiries for BankNifty options - weekly and monthly. Is my understanding correct in this?

(and it will still remain Thursday… sometime back they were planning to bring in Tuesday expiry… is that a separate issue?)

Even now you have weekly and monthly expiry for Bank Nifty Options. For the final week of the month, the monthly expiry contract doubles up as both weekly and monthly expiry.

NSE will just be reducing number of weekly expires available for trading, currently at a time there are 7, from January 21, 2022, this will be reduced to 4.

1 Like