Sell holding and buy back on same day at lower price

I have a doubt, I bought 2000 shares of ABC month ago(B1 price) and selling 1000 of them today(S1 price). After selling i find them again at low price and buy 500 qty again(B2 price) on same day and if it goes more low buy 500 qty again(B3 price) on same day. (2000-1000+500+500). Every buy and sell is in CNC. I have 2 questions

1. Will I be able to book profit though qty is same?
  2. What will be my average?
1 Like

@Nakul

Yes, since you’ve sold high and bought low, you would have made a profit on the trade

Your average will remain the same (B1) for the stocks you hold since the trade you’ve made is an Intraday trade.

3 Likes

Please reread the question and reply again. I edited it. Thank you!

My answer remains the same.

You bought 2000 shares (B1) and the shares hit your demat account.

After one month, you sell 1000 shares (S1) and after a drop in price, you buy 500 (B2) and another 500 (B3) on the same day. You’ve bought and sold 1000 shares on the same day which is what’s referred to as an ‘Intraday trade’. There’s no obligation to deliver or receive shares for these transactions since net sum is 0.

The 2000 shares (B1) that are sitting in your demat account, will not be touched since there’s no obligation and hence your average price will remain what it was for B1 purchase.

3 Likes

Such questions and such questioners lure me to intraday.

WIll I get profit when I sold 1000?

Yes, you will.

1 Like

This is what happened with me yesterday. ABC company 100x qty bought at B1 price month ago. 50x Sold at S1 price which is high in CNC yesterday. 25x bought again at B2 when low in CNC yesterday. What will be net profit and how to calculate… I am unable to calculate. Zerodha is showing (S1- value lower than B1&B2)*50x. example- 1000 qty at B1 month ago, sold 500 yesterday at S1(high). Bought 250 again when it was lower(lower than B1).

What would happen to average if i sell my holding which i bought from BSE and then buy back same day from NSE at lower price

1 Like

As answered above, your average price doesn’t change when you Sell and Buy on same day, it is considered as Intraday trade.

1 Like

I have got the same query. Thank You for your clarification. It cleared my doubt :slight_smile:

Please clarify what happens if I sell my holding or IPO (on listing day) at higher higher price in BSE. Then buy at low from BSE and again sell it at BSE? All these things happening on the same day. As an example, I had sold an IPO with a profit of 9k then again bought and sold at low with a profit of 3k. Shouldn’t the net profit be 12k? Please correct me if I’m wrong. And clarify how is the profit calculated in such cases?

This will be considered as intraday trade and the difference between the price at which you sold at and bought back the shares at will be your P&L.

The difference between your buy price (allotment price) and sell price will be your P&L.

Thanks for the answer. Can you pl clarify a bit more? In my case I was allotted Nazara at 1101, sold a 1816( Profit was 9k in holdings).Then bought a 1612 and sold at 1606(now profit in positions was 3k). How the profit will be calculated in the above case?

You sold at 1816 and bought back at 1612, this will be considered as intraday trade and your P&L will be Rs. 204 per share.

Then you sold the shares in your holdings at 1606. You had bought the shares at 1101 and sold at 1606 your P&L is Rs. 505 per share.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer.

1 Like

@ShubhS9 Just want to confirm something

It says - exit your holdings and buyback the sold holdings on the same day, and if you had used the proceeds of the holdings sold to take another intraday trade, there could be a peak margin penalty on the intraday trade if you didn’t have sufficient funds available other than the credit from selling your holdings. So, ensure you avoid taking such trades,

Let’s say I have zero balance/funds in my account and I sell 100 shares from my holding from demat. As long as I don’t use selling credit for any other trades and just buyback the same holding - same qty- 100 shares - it will be just traded as intraday trade correct?- can there be any possibility of margin penalty in such case? I repeat I won’t use selling credit for anything other than squaring off(buy back same shares)

Answered here:

I sold 100 shares Asian Paints at 3080 today and bought back 80 shares at 3070…now it shows -20 …
now the margin is revised instantly and shows the amount for 16 shares…i bought back the 16 shares (80% of 20)…after this, it shows -4…now the margin shows the amount for 3 shares, i bought back 3 Shares (80% of 4)…
now it shows 1 Share…since I had Rs 4000 in my Zerodha account, i was able to buy this 1 share also…
so Finally, i could buy back all the 100 shares sold, in 4 separate orders…will this attract any peak Margin Penalty??