Short Margin Penalty

@ShubhS9 suppose there is margin shortfall today of say 10K . If i deposit this amount on 11 pm by payment gateway , would i still be charged margin penalty?

There won’t be penalty as long as funds get updated on the same day in the ledger. But it’ll be better if you add funds earlier.

Yes but we can only know shortfall after receiving margin file from Zerodha :grinning:
Also I think 18% gst is charged on penal amount it will be better if this is mentioned in support page. Lot of People get confused in this

Will do, thanks.
@mohitmehra

Hi Prakhar, which part has to change here?

“Opening balance + total value of collateral - net credit from equity transactions made today and the previous day - credit from derivatives trading today - all intraday realized profits”

The complete net credit from unsettled profits & trades has to remain excluded for margin reporting.

1 Like

@siva is this feature build? where we can know the margin up-front ?

You mean the margin required?

Yes… upfront margin requirements.

We are getting multiple times margin penalty

Yes, you can check on baskets but margins may increase after position is taken also it is recommended to maintain minimum 10% free cash to be on safer side.

@siva i was talking about this… is it build?

ahh no, with current peak margin rules it is not possible to do this, earlier penalty was based on carry forward positions but now during the day also.

@siva suppose i take a position and then my free cash becomes negative 1 lakh. It get captures in Snapshots taken by cc. Then at eod too cash remains negative. So how will penalty be charged. I guess it won’t be double, so will peak margin penalty be charged or normal carry forward penalty in above case.

1 Like

I have been charged with short margin penality of 12.5 K for single day , can you please let me know on what basis this is charged and the calculation for it . This is too high and very risky

For account related queries would request you to raise a ticket at support.zerodha.com, our team will have this checked and assist.

You can learn more about short margin penalty here.

Only once it is charged per day, which ever is higher ie either based on peak or eod based.

1 Like

@siva

I got margin call at 1450 hrs yesterday while doing MIS for 2lk margin shortfall. I immediately added funds to get back to positive margin at 1453 hrs.

Will I get margin penalty??

It is possible to use intraday profits for that same day trading .

Intraday profits are available for trading only after they are settled on T+1 day in F&O segment and T+2 days in equity segment.

May not be but need more details to confirm, you can create ticket.

1 Like

Hi Team,
I have bought an option outside the range in banknifty for hedging purpose, forgot to square it off and now it is carried over , will it attract any penalty to it