Simple question on options

i have the below query as i am the beginner investor and have little knowledge about options.
today (date: 23 march 2017) is options expiry but today is not the last thursday of the month (last thursday is 30 march 2017) then how is 23 march 2017 thursday is the option expiry day.
questions:

1. do every thursday is the options expiry
  2. which options expire on every thursday of the month
  3. how do i confirm which thursday is my options expiry thursday?
  4. where do we get to know the options detailed information which changes from time to time ?

i have the little knowledge that the last thursday of every month is the options expiry, is this correct, please shed some light on this issue.

Bank Nifty Options is Weekly expiry…Every Thursday of the Month
Nifty and Stocks are Monthly Expiry …Very last Thursday of the month
NSEINDIA.com …where you find options price data

2 Likes

Hello @smartinvestor

Nifty and Banknifty have monthly option expiries on the last Thursday of the month. If the last Thursday is a holiday, then expiry will take place on the previous trading day.

Recently, weekly options have also been introduced for Banknifty. These options expire on the Thursday of every week. If the weekly Thursday is a holiday, then it will expire on the previous trading day.

Let’s find the expiry days for the below options for the month of April 2017 -

Nifty and Banknifty monthly options - 27th April 2017(Last Thursday of the month)

Banknifty Weekly options - 6th April, 13th April and 20th April(Weekly Thursdays)

• You will find the Historical Contract-wise Price Volume Data for Futures and Options from the following nseindia link.