Tech employee layoffs have slowly started globally

Yeah seems weird. Is it really possible!

My sister works at Intel. Currently sheā€™s on WFH. I see 90% of the time theyā€™re just doing one or the other meetings on teams

1 Like

Travel time is less.
Time to dress up is less.
Also we have automated most stuffs.
New business is less due to US slowdown.

If everything is automated why donā€™t cos simply lay off some people and reduce workforce. This will save their employee costs and they can make more profits

1 Like

Obviously everything is nothing automated, there is manual intervention, so there is need for software people, and the more the industries and businesses that software companies rope in, the more will be the need, hence all the fresh recruitment, along with the fact that freshers work more and for less, so some work is assigned to them.

everything is not automated. The trend is towards that. If computer can drive themselves, if they can pluck coconut trees the other items too they can do.
Once systems move to cloud the resource required will reduce drastically.
There are many projects running on legacy systems even now which foreigners donā€™t want to take.

even trading is now automated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, not exactly each one of us, but now humans get to compete with algorithms in the market :crossed_swords:

Edit:- Thatā€™s not really possible. Its not rewarding. People like to get paid in $$. Usually people do firm job and freelance that pays them in $$. People are not stupid to work again for infy for fixed rupees after working in wipro.

People do get laid off because of automation. Thatā€™s a true fact. But what they donā€™t tell you is companies themselves give you other course ,paid material for free, hackathon , environment & tools for you to grow and be employable to company

1 Like

While there may be unrest globally, weā€™re still trying to manage surviving the market and saving our jobs. Hopefully, the situation should tone down soon.

Itā€™s part of life and all we can do is find a solution to make the situation better. The market will go through massive changes in the next few months and so we need to be extra careful. Hoping for the best, fingers crossed.

Itā€™s not something I was ready to see. I canā€™t even think of what shape it will take in the coming time.

You think this will escalate? Remember the same thing happened few years back before covid ā€¦I donā€™t think this time is different .

Sometimes layoffs are viewed positively, as a sign that the company is cutting expenses and trying to improve its bottom line. Other times, layoffs might be perceived negatively as a sign that the company is financially stressed and needs to slash workers in order to increase or maintain profit margins or compete with other companies. In the end, it all depends on the market sentiments and its expectations on the company.

These can be early signs of something big brewing up.

I think it basically tells how the sector will perform in the short term, gives an idea about the sales growth, immediate future prospects etc, and excluding companies which are into niche segments, all other companies, particularly the larger ones more or less behave the same, so if one is good, others too will be good more or less, and given the maturity of the sector in India, IT is one of the most understood sectors, leaving no space for surprises.

IT Companies results are saying totally different story!

As you know, the current results are about the work they have been doing for a while, and the layoffs, if any, are about the future, say next 1 year or so.

So they are different.

But if recession indeed gets started, or becomes deep, I guess IT will be one of the first effected sectors.