Trading Derivatives in USA from India

I’ll not be giving up once my account gets big, will find a way to get a visa in canada i guess I know someone there.

I think you’ve lack of knowledge, let me provide you the info:

There is margin account and cash account

Short sale requires margin account and you can’t short sale with a cash account, you can only buy and sell with the account you can’t do vice versa in a cash account.

PDT rule applies to margin account for account under $25k, it does not apply to cash account.

The cash account is in no way considered any close to margin, and

day trading involves both going short or long(short requires margin)

Going long means: buying and selling stock with a cash account or a margin account

Going short means: selling higher and covering the profits at lower prices using only margin account.

There is no logical way to prove that day trading going long with a cash account is margin based trading.

2 Likes

Hey @nithin , there is news doing the rounds that Sebi is considering reducing margins on option spreads and hedged trades. Is this true?

In the world worst margin system only in india, SEBI have no knowlege about margin system , Developed country only have knowledge people in the board , SEBI is trying dry up the liquidity system in India and trying to demolish the current liquidity SEBI want to wake up , Indian economy is going down , next market will go down , currency is already depreciated , all government companies went to private , SEBI clearing the liquidity in the market , hey government anything left for next generation,

3 Likes

when I contacted them, they told me I can open a cash account and not a margin account.

Maybe they’ve changed the rules for Indians. But that’s cool too, you can do some limited options strategies with that account, but not comfortable advising legality of it on a forum, but as far as I know, there are legal ways to do it, you’ll have to do your own research if you’re serious enough.

I think we should start a change.org petition… If my technical lingo was good, I would have created the page and shared with you… but… it is not…

So, someone please create a page to put some pressure on SEBI to do this margin reduction thing fast. and share the page here… This is a highly watched thread. So, this could work.

3 Likes

THe ecosystem for profitable options trading seems to have caught pace in India now. Once SEBI rationalizes the margining system, it will really be amazing, especially for someone like me who trades for a living.

Zerodha has done great by creating the facility to pledge liquid MF’s. Now being the biggest and savviest broker in India, I would urge @nithin to please take a lead in explaining to SEBI about the perils of current margin system and how reducing margins on spreads will not increase risk (rather more traders would be incentivised to take hedged positions)

1 Like

This should happen soon I believe, we just need to wait for some more time.

4 Likes

That seems like a great news coming from you…fingers crossed!

People are posting comments on this thred from very long time…

Did anyone find a way to margin trade US stocks from india?

There is no way one can do margin trade via LRS route.

@nithin Can Zerodha users buy fractional shares from the U.S stock market?

Yes, at-least in top/popular companies.

@siva , before introducing in US market please let educate us to brief about platform and us market and products

1 Like

Yes, we will be doing in course of time.

2 Likes

We do use many U.S products in our daily life. Also, we can get data from the web.

So can a Category III AIF take positions in CFDs overseas?

Difficult to go through that route as minimum corpus is 20 crores to start an Cat III AIF, but still.

They can invest overseas up to 25% of total funds or 50 cr, which ever is max. Also they can’t use leverage more than 2 times, so not sure if they can/will buy cfds as cfds are almost like gambling instruments with higher leverage.

1 Like

yupp no one in their sane minds would take that kind of leverage…

but one can operate this way by AIF that is concluded…