Transfer of shares

My father is holding 650 shares of some company in material form. How do I convert them/ sell them?

do your father have a demat account ? if yes than simply handover the shares to your DP and they will do it .before handing over the certificates to DP kindly confirm if the same is traded / have a ISIN or else the dp will return the same after few days and postal charges etc will be levied.
if your father do not have a demat account or you want to transfer the shares on your name, first you have to physically transfer these shares by using form SH-4 ( can be downloaded from net ) on your name and than demat.