Unnecessary Trading restrictions at Zerodha

Any links?

also I wrote that rationale and in return I got the list of scrips which are not allowed in MIS. There was solution regarding my problem

@Joe_Chris I think they are referring to this article -

But this is common practice in the US and done by all brokers. An article from a year ago which mentions that -https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/18/a-controversial-part-of-robinhoods-business-tripled-in-sales-thanks-to-high-frequency-trading-firms.html

1 Like

You are absolutely right. So, if you mention the same in the ticket, it doesn’t make any sense. There can be various reasons behind investing in a scrip. Like personal reserch and analysis, suggestions from friends or family, suggested by advisory firms etc. And if you still didn’t get any positive response from zerodha then that means it won’t be possible for us to unblock the scrip due to exchange restrictions.

if you don’t mind can you please share what are those exchange restrictions because I am not aware of any restriction placed by any exchange regarding intraday trading in these stocks.

It might not be always drafted in circular or published in the website. At times it is communicated directly with the brokers according to which a broker must take necessary measures. (:

in the past, i saw couple of threads in this forum where people asking for advice on whether to hold shares of some god-knows-what companies.

they obviously fell for some SMS tip, bought unknowingly and bag-holding those shares, where the price was hitting lower circuit day after day, and people losing their life savings 5% everyday.

I know its not zerodha’s place to restrict, it should be SEBI’s.
but by blocking zerodha is actually saving countless people from losing their savings.
I ack that it is also stopping people (who knows how the system works) from making money by playing the trend.
i think its a small price to pay to save the innocents.

1 Like

first of all I do not think that it is any single or a group of people that is doing trading. People behind movement of these stocks are usually operators, promoters or their closed ones which definitely will not use Zerodha.

Secondly, there are some people also who want to gamble only a few portion of their capital, say 1/1000th thinking that even if the stock reaches zero then they will lose only a small portion and sometimes these gambles actually work.

Thirdly, pump and dump cannot be curbed at all. Check the prices of Axis Gold and Axis Nifty, when they reduced their face value they were locked at UC which is 15-20% more than their true value and immediately on next day they fell down by 10%. Would not you call this is as pump and dump.

That should be left to the buyer ?
If its available in the market , then why cant we buy or sell it ?
we are adults and we know the risks. Its our money, our risk. Dont need to be protected

And someday , even Infosys and HDFC were penny stocks. We should have the freedom to be able to invest in small companies if we think they have a great future.

No restriction to invest in any company except in 5 to 10 where exchange has put sms alert, on all other companies one can invest, for few it may ask to proceed via TOPT,that’s it.

I was refering to Nifty and Bank Nifty
I want to sell 10300 PE today but I cant

That is due to OI limit for broker.

No restrictions on selling, one can do, also if one has short position then to hedge that one can buy any strike without any restriction.

If I wanted to buy 11800 CALL or 10400 PUT I cant buy due to the restriction in Zerodha ? Is there any way I can ?

Are these restrictions only in Zerodha, or NSE instructs all brokers to have these restrictions ?

Hello Siva,

You are wrong. Zerodha do restricts several trades like one is not allowed to buy GSM2 and above stocks. Even intraday sell is not allowed in ton of stocks. Not sure why you people keep giving wrong information related to Zerodha not blocking scripts. For your information my account is TOTP enabled.

1 Like

Can check this for not allowing GMS 2 and above.

We are allowing for most now with TOPT, why don’t you check and confirm on monday.

1 Like

Hello Shiva,

I will message you.

use TOPT login to trade almost anything in zerodha :slight_smile:

i m facing many restrictions while making any posts on the “tradingqna” . request pls kindly remove all the restrictions for my account . Or may i know the valid reasons why do u keep restrictions on my account … thk u .

BO blocked, TOTP blocked, Nudge and kill switch. How retail trader will trade.
Even far OTM options blocked.

1 Like