Update 4th Aug 2020 - Margins for trading stocks & Intraday leverages

Which stocks you are not seeing? with what you are comparing?

@siva, i had few MFs where few variants are available but their DIRECT or GROWTH variants are not available
eg. Nippon India Money Market Fund Direct Growth, SBI Magnum GILT Direct Growth, etc

@siva, I totally agree with @vmm… If one MF scheme is allowed, can their DIRECT and GROWTH variants be added, especially when the regular variants are allowed… Most people on Zerodha platform would prefer the DIRECT variants over REGULAR variants

SEBI circular says all stocks, except the ones which are illiquid, can be pledged for margin.
The number of stocks (not including MFs, liquid funds, etc) currently available for pledge at Zerodha is around 750ish which is similar to last months number. This number should increase to include all stocks except the ones which are illiquid. I am sure you would agree this number will be much higher than 750.

are this new rules applicable from yesterday…or postponed? @ShubhS9

Changes have already come into effect from September 1st, Read the following post to know the changes.

Shubh sir you said on selling 24500 CE and 25500 PE margin benefit of hedge will be there, but my question is before the strangle is created first 24500 CE needs to be sold, without intraday margin how will it be possible to sell CE first? Will it not be seen as a naked position before PE of other strike is sold? Please answer sir am very confused.

Yes, it will be naked position and you will need sufficient funds in your account to take Short position first, after you take position in other Strike, you will get margin benefit.

@siva : would appreciate your response on this.

The number is much more than 750, you can check the list.

@siva : I am checking this sheet - screenshot below.
The total # of stocks (excluding MFs/ETF) that can be pledged is around 750.
Are you refering to some other sheet?

sir after sept 2021,if i want buy crude for intraday what is the margin i required if the price 3000

Full nrml margin(carry forward), what ever it is.

@siva : Am following up on this repeatedly for the benefit of all my fellow traders.
However, for now can you please help to add Intellect design arena (INE306R01017) in this list so that I can pledge it for margin. Thanks

Just a simple question for FnO, will we have 0 leverage (i.e. full span+exposure) come Dec 1, or is the leverage going to reduced in a phased manner as per peak margin implementation, that is 4x then 2x then 1.3x for us, the end traders. @nithin @siva. Or in other words, when will the leverage be 0 for FnO, that is we have to pay the full span+exposure even for intraday ?

In phases only, likely full margin from sep 2021.

" Dec 2020 to Feb 2021 - penalty if margin blocked is less than 25% of VAR+ELM ( or 20% of trade value) for stocks or SPAN+Exposure for F&O. (Max leverage of 5% or 20 times for stocks)"

Currently, you are giving exposure of “30% of the VaR+ELM+Adhoc mandated by the exchange” on cover orders. Would it be safe to assume that you would be giving the same leverage till Feb21.

Reply would be much appreciated. Thanks.

yeah, unless we are asked not to by the regulators.

We can use payin as margin, right ?

Yes, you can.