Update 4th Aug 2020 - Margins for trading stocks & Intraday leverages

Thanks @siva. Really appreciate patiently listening to our queries and replying.

Regarding intra-day leverages in FnO, I think we need to look at intent of SEBI. Yeah, eventually for intra-day they want them to be just (SPAN+Exposure in FnO), but not in one shot, say Oct 1 or Dec 1, but rather in phased manner. It’s a slow kill / phased process :slight_smile: providing time for markets/market participants to adjust to new rules.

Where does it say that Shares sold and Early Paid by the Broker to the Clearing Corporation cannot be used as margins for any other Trades in any segment. The FAQ’s don’t talk about this at all.Clarify this doubt please

In commodity sebi has told that peak margin reporting till 5pm so after 5pm broker can give leverage as per broker wish

But they have risk based system for hedged trade not like us sebi lives 15 years back only

You can use funds freed from sale of your holdings to take fresh positions in stocks or use as margin for F&O.

As mentioned in main post

Would suggest you to read the main post again.

:slight_smile: We will get to know in October if exchanges or SEBI will allow this to continue or not or will question the brokers on why it is being allowed.

1 Like

Don’t think so.

1 Like

Currency margin requirements are already much lesser due to the lower volatility right? Around 4% compared to the Nifty margin of over 17% currently.

Hmm… no, it doesn’t say that anywhere that it is only till 5pm.

Nithin, will this 5x for cash in intraday remain unchanged ?
OR, is there any chance from SEBI to cut the 5x too for intraday after 1 year or later?

1 Like

@siva please tell very clear for us which ever is cash equivalent securiries , for ex ( money market , liquid muftual etc ) to pledge in the new mechanism ,

Hi @nithin and @siva are the brokers still pushing for relaxation on span+exposure margin FNO or this is the final decision.

Sir can you pls elaborate are you asking for intra fno or hedged trade in fno (I think brokers need push for only 6 sigma span and remove exposure for hedged trade decreasing efficiency of trader in terms of roce)

We believe it will continue, but you never know what SEBI can come up with.

1 Like

Yes, will be allowed in new system provided they fall under approved securities by clearing corporations.

This seems final as of now.

Can i sell X company shares from my holdings @ 10 am and use the funds to buy Y company shares @11 am and sell them @2pm and use the funds to buy Z company shares.

You can do.

How much penalty will be charged if I carry multiple trades in intraday for 1 lac rupees ? Formula please …

Why penalty?