Warren Buffet Lost $90 Billion By Not Following His Own Advice

Warren Buffet - Famously known as “Oracle of Omaha”, as you all know, is one of the most successful investors in the world and chairman and CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Many in the investing community keep a keen eye on what Mr.Buffet says Annual letter to Berkshire shareholders which provides an insight into how Buffett and his team think about everything from investment strategy to stock ownership to company culture, and much more.

In 2020’s Annual letter, Buffet wrote the following : “If something close to current rates should prevail over the coming decades and if corporate tax rates also remain near the low level businesses now enjoy, it is almost certain that equities will over time perform far better than long-term, fixed-rate debt instruments. These elements, coupled with the ‘American Tailwind,’ will make ‘equities the much better long-term choice for the individual who does not use borrowed money and who can control his or her emotions.”

In short, Buffett is suggesting that over the coming decades, it will be better to be invested in equities (aka S&P 500 Index) versus Treasury bonds, given that the yield on bonds is so low.

Before we blindly heed Buffett’s advice we must factor in that he has long been a source of contradiction.

Buffett is now holding his largest amount of cash in the history of the firm.

As the old saying goes: “Follow the money.”

Interestingly, while Buffett has been telling everyone else to buy a stock index, and avoid bonds, he has been doing exactly the opposite by “buying bonds.”

Make no mistake, Buffett is indeed a great investor, and has made a tremendous amount of money for his shareholders over the years. One of the reasons for this is that at times of market excesses he has preferred holding cash.At the time he is leaving money on the table, but that cash can be deployed when markets are panicking and value appears. Remember, Buffett had cash on hand in 2008 to lend to Goldman Sachs at 10%.

So, what would have happened if Buffett had taken his own advice and invested his cash into the S&P 500 index rather than bonds. The index is highly liquid, so he could have sold the index at any time he needed cash for an acquisition, and the shares could have been lent out for an additional return on his investment.

While it may not look like much on a percentage basis, the cumulative return lost to Berkshire Shareholders over the last decade was roughly $90 Billion dollars.

Or rather, a $1000 investment in 2010 would have grown to nearly $4000 versus just $3500.

The following post is an excerpt from this post which was published last year in march : https://www.investing.com/analysis/buffett-lost-90-billion-by-not-following-his-own-advice-200512310

Update : Fast forward to what has been an extraordinary roller coaster of a ride (with the pandemic) for the last 20 months roughly : Warren Buffett’s cash pile tops record with $149.2 billion on hand from $128 Billion last year.

What’s your view on this? Is this a case of missed opportunity for value investors like buffet or is Buffett right this time in his approach?

Do you agree with Buffet’s strategy of holding record amount of cash?

• YES. Market will give better opportunities
  • NO. He missed the bus from last 1 year
  • DON’T KNOW. it’s confusing

0 voters

3 Likes

The above post is about Mr.Warren Buffett. The point the author wants to know is "Do you agree with Buffet’s strategy of holding record amount of cash?

My question is “is there anyone outside the Berkshire Hathaway management team capable of even second guessing if their strategy of holding cash is right or not”

We are talking about one of the most revered investor the world has seen, I am sure Berkshire Hathaway has made tons of money for their investors over the years. So is questioning their strategy right when we have no clue what their thought process is all about.

So? - If he is holding cash, I am sure the management is aware that they are holding 149.2 billion in cash. He is an investor and buys business, so for the team, it is better to wait for the right opportunity to buy than investing in a company to please others. Also, BH will make money every year and this cash balance will increase - there is no rocket science in this. It is only for this reason the team has been doing buy backs. I am sure you are aware of this. The important part, is BH will not buy any business at any valuation just because they have cash.

You should read what he said in the right context. I think this is one of the reason why he gives interview once a year, if not, each statement of his will be taken out of context. He has said this in context for retail investors who are first timers or even regular investors. In US, unlike India, there are no FD which gives you 6.5 % interest and hence he might have said what you have quoted in context to retail investors to invest in stock market.

To a lay investor like me, it makes perfect sense for BH to hold cash as the management team might be thinking that there are no great opportunities right now and as and when there is a opportunity, they have the cash to buy the business in full and without opting for bank loan or other source of funding.

Really? Invest the entire surplus of 150 billion dollars in S&P 500 Index? What is the guarantee that when he sells, there will not be a capital loss. Do investors like BH ever invest in Index fund? They are great in buying businesses than following what the retail investors is doing. Also the amount involved is 140 billion dollars and not few lack rupees. I am sure they don’t have to invest in Index fund for parking their surplus money - the sole objective is to reinvest.

This is absolutely right - This is one of the main reason in India, so many retail investors have started investing in equities because the interest rate of fixed deposits have fallen. There is no other alternate investment except for equities.

Finally Just cannot digest the last part of the questionnaire.

No. He missed the bus from last 1 year.

Ask the shareholder of BH and I am sure they will give the right reply.

To me the title of the write-up is uncalled for on this Great Man… (Anyways who am I to say what is right or wrong, Live and let live)

6 Likes

Even if he did miss the opportunity in 2020 crash, so what? there will be opportunities again in future. Anyone trying to imply Buffet’s failure should remember he has more investing experience than the age of most youngsters here. He has beaten generations of fund managers and had the last laugh.

On the contrary this article fails to point out that BH actually sold some Apple shares during the covid early stages. I would have called that as a miscalculation.