Weekly Trading Diary: 10th to 14th January 2022

A thread for discussing all your trades, strategies, ideas, news, stories, etc.

It was a good first week of the trading in 2022 for Indian markets, both Sensex and Nifty managed to climb around 2.6% each with Sensex gaining 1,490 points and Nifty 458.

Though it was not so good week for other markets around the world. US indices were on the losing side with NASDAQ tanking over -4.5% for the week. Apart from Hang Seng, all the major Asian markets closed the week in the red. While major European markets managed modest gains.

On the sectoral front, Bank Nifty and PSU Bank index were the top gainers, with almost all indices managing to close in green. Nifty Pharma (-2.6%) and IT (-1.5%) were the only losers.

FII-DII-activity

Corporate Earnings to watch out for;

11th Jan 12th Jan 13th Jan 14th Jan 15th Jan
Delta Corp. Infosys Mindtree HCL Technologies HDFC Bank
TCS CESE
Wipro
Federal Bank

Key economic events to look forward to for the week;

10th Jan 11th Jan 12th Jan 13th Jan 14th Jan
Eurozone Unemployment Rate (NOV) US Fed Chair. Powell Testimony India CPI Inflation (DEC) US PPI (DEC) India WPI Inflation (DEC)
Britain Reail Sales US CPI Inflation (DEC) Jobless Clams US Industrail Production (DEC)
Eurozone Industrail Production (NOV) Retail Sales (DEC)
China CPI Inflation (DEC) China Trade Balance (DEC)
Britain Manufacturing Production (NOV)
GDP (MoM)

What are you looking forward to in the week? Join the discussion below :point_down:

2 Likes

Pls share your view on banknifty . Open high low close levels for this monday and this thursday expiry

Its so tough to predict open high close levels for an index esp like bank nifty. My view from last week has been that 38100-38300 Spot levels can act like resistance for the index.

I will be looking to short at these levels and then look to long near 37100-36850 zones.

So, basically that would be the range to work with for this week @HSL

Good Morning tqna buddies,

After a massive trending week, Expecting this week’s market to be rangebound.

range can be btwn 17600-18100

My bias id on more on the downside and I will be looking to short index on the rise .

EOD Update : Market as expected is heading to the upper end of the spectrum. I wont long at these zones in index.

Whereas stocks (small and midcaps) are on absolute fire as expected. I will book trading bets in stocks slowly and sit on cash by mid jan.

1 Like

Nifty and Sensex surged by over 1% with Nifty topping 18k and Sensex closing well above 60k mark. US futures are down, indicating a weak start for US markets.

:oil_drum: Brent Crude: 81.62 -0.16%
:heavy_dollar_sign: USD-INR Spot: 74.04 -0.36%
:scroll: India 10Y bond yield: 6.589% +0.72%

Day’s trend:

All sectors managed to close on a positive note. With Nifty PSU Bank index leading the gains, up by over 3.2%.

Amongst the F&O stocks

:chart_with_upwards_trend: GMR Infra was the top gainer.
:chart_with_downwards_trend: IPCA Labrotiries was the top loser.

:newspaper: In the news

Avenue Supermarts standalone profit grew by 24.57% YoY to Rs. 585.79 cr and revenue from operations stood at Rs 9,065 cr, up 22% from Rs 7,432.7 cr a year ago.

Reliance’s wholly-owned subsidiary RIIHL signed an agreement to acquire a 73.37% stake in Mandarin Oriental New York, one of the premium luxury hotels in New York City.

Citi has downgraded India’s GDP forecast to 9% from 9.8% for FY22

Over 100 auto companies including Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors apply for the auto PLI Scheme.

Nifty and Sensex finished higher for the fourth day in a row, both up around 0.88%. Dow and Nasdaq futures are trading higher, signaling that US markets are off to a good start.

:oil_drum: Brent Crude: 84.2 +0.59%
:heavy_dollar_sign: USD-INR Spot: 73.91 +0.01%
:scroll: India 10Y bond yield: 6.597% +0.41%

Day’s trend:

Almost all sectors ended the day in the green, with Nifty Energy topping the list with a 2.14% gain. The only sector to close in the red was Pharma, which fell by just -0.15%.

Amongst the F&O stocks

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Vodafone Idea was the top gainer.
:chart_with_downwards_trend: Motherson Sumi was the top loser.

Earnings Update:

Delta Corp declares a multi-fold rise in net earnings. Revenue increased by 105% to Rs 247 cr for the quarter, compared to Rs 120 cr in the same period previous year. The firm is also planning an IPO of its online gaming business.

Wipro’s PAT is flat at 2972 Crore which is 1% up QOQ and 1% Down YoY; Numbers are slightly below analyst estimate.

Infy raises FY22 revenue growth guidance raised to 19.5-20% from 16.5-17.5%; announces a solid set of numbers with PAT at 5810 Crore (up 7.2% QoQ) and Constant currency rev growth at 7% QoQ.

A consortium led by L&T Hydrocarbon, an arm of L&T, has secured two offshore orders from an overseas client, worth over Rs 7,000 cr

DMart slips over 4%, hits over 3-month low; down up to 10% in 3 days post Q3 results as management indicated that it continues to monitor the current situation, wherein the trend in sales and footfall will depend on any local pandemic related restriction on trade activities.

Exports rose 33% to $7.63 billion during Jan 1-7 period on account of healthy performance by various sectors, including engineering, petroleum and gems, and jewelry: Govt data. Story here.

India’s Index of Industrial Production grows 1.4% in November.

Retail inflation spikes to a 5-month high of 5.59% in Dec; Consumer Food Price Index (CFPI) or the inflation in the food basket also spiked on-month during December to 4.05%.

:earth_asia: Around the world

Fed Chair Powell says rate hikes, tighter policy will be needed to control inflation. More here.

Good Morning tqna folks,

Market has surprised my expectation by surpassing 18160 mark which I thought would not be breached that easily and is now in touching distance to test ATHs once again.

I took SL of 75 points in 2 days. part of the game.

I will look to sell on rise (ill use the strategy of buying feb put options which will give me margin of safety in case of any adverse move )

I’ll be trying to buy 18500 and 18200 puts of feb slowly till this weekend. Im expecting 17700-650 to test once.

Stock specific longs can obviously be initiated till budget.

Update 1 : as expected 18160 level is now acting as support. further fall only below this level me thinks.

Benchmark indices extended their gains for the fifth trading session, climbing marginally higher over volatility. While Dow and Nasdaq futures indicate a mixed start for US markets.

:oil_drum: Brent Crude: 84.72 +0.06%
:heavy_dollar_sign: USD-INR Spot: 73.88 -0.04%
:scroll: India 10Y bond yield: 6.565% -0.42%

Among the sector indices, Nifty Metal led the way with a 3.48% gain, while Nifty Realty was the lowest, falling by -0.72%.

Amongst the F&O stocks

:chart_with_upwards_trend: Polycab India was the top gainer.
:chart_with_downwards_trend: Wipro Limited was the top loser.

Earnings Update:

CESC’s net profit increased by 0.3% to ₹329 cr vs ₹328 cr (YoY), while the Cons EBITDA margin at 19.3% from 26.4% (YoY).

Aditya Birla Money’s net profit increased by 53.6 % to Rs 6.4 crore from Rs 4.2 crore (YoY).

Mindtree’s net profit of 437.5 crores, up from 398.8 crores (QoQ), while Cons EBIT margin of 19.2% vs 18.2% (QoQ).

Tata Motors recovered 4% from intraday lows after announcing that its subsidiary, Jaguar Land Rover, reported a 37.6% year-on-year reduction in retail sales to 80,126 units in Q3.

As part of the Investment Promotion Activity for Vibrant Gujarat Summit 2022, Reliance Industries signed an MoU with the Government of Gujarat today for a total investment of Rs 5.955 lakh crore.

TVS Motor Company Partners with Swiggy For EV Adoption in Delivery Fleet.

TCS announces buyback worth 18000 Crores at Rs 4,500/share, a premium of 17%.

US inflation soared 7% in the past year, the most since 1982; Prices have risen sharply for cars, gas, food, and furniture during a rapid recovery from the pandemic recession.

Nifty and Sensex staged impressive recovery from days lows but closed the day on lower note. For the week markets were up by over 2.3%, managing to extend gains for fourth straight week.

Dow and Nasdaq futures are trading lower, indicating a weak start for US markets.

Most of the sectoral indices ended in red. Nifty Realty, IT and Energy index were the only gainers.

Amongst the F&O stocks

:chart_with_upwards_trend: BEL was the top loser.
:chart_with_downwards_trend: Motherson Sumi dropped over 20% on ex-date for demerger of its wiring harness business.

WPI Inflation eases to 13.56% in December, this still remains in double digits for the ninth consecutive month beginning April.

India’s exports rise by 38.91% to $37.81 bn in December. Trade deficit widens to $21.68 billion: Govt data.

Aditya Birla Fashion announced that it will acquire a 51% stake in the House of Masaba Lifestyle for a cash consideration of Rs 90 crore, to foray into the rapidly growing beauty and personal care segment.

Vedanta Group is willing to spend $12 bn to acquire India’s state-owned refiner BPCL, an asset sale that’s among the nation’s biggest and which has faced delays in completion.

TSMC the world’s largest contract chip maker, said it would increase its investment to boost production capacity by up to 47% this year as demand continues to surge amid a global chip crunch.

Britain’s economy grew strongly in November to finally surpass its size just before the country went into its first COVID-19 lockdown. The world’s fifth-biggest economy expanded by a much faster than expected 0.9% in November.

Norway raises 2022 spending from its wealth fund to $41 bn as it seeks to compensate businesses affected by coronavirus lockdown measures and subsidize households hit by a surge in electricity prices.