Weekly trading diary : November 2017 Week 4 : 20 Nov - 24 Nov

I have traded in currency in past. Capital required is lesser than equities. And yes, currency is safer than equities.

1 Like

I hope you do well next week.

High capital needed in your trading with Nifty Futures…i still don’t get it. How many stocks and at what price?

Past? So you came back to equities?

Any tips on currency trading will be appreciated.

I was not actively trading currencies in past. I was experimenting them & my experience was good. I have made some money trading them & success rate was higher than equities.

1 Like

Any profits today?

I didn’t trade today nor yesterday. I have been busy n occupied due to household work & family reasons.

2 Likes

Hey, Guys Every Segment is different and Every person is different.
Here @gopchem is King of Currency But If he is Booking Profits in Currency it Does not guarantee Profit for you too.
So, It better to work on your own Skills and For Currency you can take guidance from @gopchem.

1 Like

Woa…so much self control. Got lessons to learn from you sir. Trading on a daily basis since joining Zerodha…at one point wanted markets to open on Saturdays and Sundays also :slight_smile: Now, cooling down a bit…lot more to learn.

1 Like

Well, I believe trading is a full-time business. Its addiction. Right now I have been occupied with things so its impossible for me to trade peacefully. Actually home renovation work going on, white wash n all. Now u tell , how can I trade at peace so its better not to trade. Yes I have missed many opportunities but let it be so!!

2 Likes

2 lot sold nifty dec fut @10435 in the morning and bought @ 10447 in evening.
1 lot = 75 units in nifty.
For normal buy/sell, margin needed in around rs. 70k. Zerodha gives 2.5x leverage in intraday, so around 30k for intraday

1 Like

Not an intraday trader, trade in only options holding 2-3 weeks range on an average.

8 Likes

may i know how do you screen out potential stocks at any given point of time ?

Hi @vicky_kothari,

I go with the news mainly. During result months, I take the forthcoming 15 days results calendar from NSE Corporate Calendar - NSE , read all possible analyst reports available, study the past 2 quarters and past FY quarter result and invest in 3-4 stocks from different sectors which I find is most probable to post good results.

All buyings are made atleast 5 days prior result. Stoploss is 35% of invested amount. If result is good 5x returns can be made.

On non result months, I usually go with news items like Bonus share issue, news of stocks entering Nifty, Sensex etc.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing it neelima. companies results scenario can be very well used for risk to reward strategy.

Always avoid greed, once you take happy trades.

Sorry but going by results is a hit or miss strategy.
You may win big or you may also end up losing big.

Keeping 35% SL maybe a normal thing when u trade options but if price fails to move in your direction, loss will increase from 35% to 50% depletion of your capital in no time.

1 Like

yup. The result bet is always a 50-50% chance. In november month I bought 1 lot of Titan and made good profit based on result and thought PCJ will also give good news, which it did but made a loss. I tracked almost 20-30 companies and checked the impact of good result on share price and there was either no move or they went down. I guess I got lucky with Titan. Also have heard many experts say that result bet should not be made. You can trade on other news like bagging big orders, negative news etc. But result bet is not that good a strategy.

Well, I would still say that one has to try and see different strategies ( Not necessarily the ones in texts and theories ) and find the right fit according to their risk propensity.
My experience so far - If you do your research thoroughly your chances of failure at most is 50% .

My stock picks based on expected +ve results for the month was SBI, Titan, PC Jewellers, Tata Motors and Tata Global Beverages. Got handsome profit from 3 of these.

Rationale of going with 5 stocks is this . Say 1000 is put in each, worst case 4/5 gives bad result. You could lose Rs.2000 ( 50% of 4000 ) + You could make 5K from the one stock which gave good result making the total. of 7K from 5K invested which is still a 40% RoI.

Again, options are not for everyone. You might even see your capital going 50% down on a single day.

2 Likes

I am assuming those 3 were SBI, tata global and Titan?

That rationale does sound convincing but there is a chance that all 5 or maybe 10 companies giving negative results. I myself traded options. Bought 670 call of titan at 27 and sold at 103. So that was a very nice bet.

I did miss tata global beverage pick. I was sure it would go up but didn’t check the result date. Could have made a lot in that call too.

I have not experienced any 0% win so far. You cannot miss all if you spend time studying in and out about the company related news, analyst calls and previous quarter study. Results doesn’t come out of blue. There are always news out there when there is a positive or negative event happening.

If you note, even PC jewellers and Tata Motors showed increase in revenue and profit, but PC jewellers took a hit coz of poor operational margins and tata motors showing loss in domestic market.

You could fairly well predict the top line by carefully following the company news, but the details in P&L may be difficult. Still an educated decision than just going with the market trend.

2 Likes