What is edge in the market? Does it actually exist?

Basically, a market edge simply means, the trader has understood how the market functions and has found a way around the risk to make profit, regularly. Trading is not an easy subject. You need to focus, be patient and have a good eye to spot the right opportunity. This is achieved after backtesting.

1 Like

I think the only edge we can believe in would be our own knowledge and experience. The market will always go through ups and downs but a skilled and matured trader would not panic or make wrong decisions. They will plan every single move in the right direction even when things go against them. We should never go against the market as that will be like swimming against a river during a flood. If we do that we wonā€™t be able to survive no matter how good of a swimmer we are. The right approach is to go with the market and not against it.

2 Likes

agreed @VishnuUpalekar @ShrutiNandi

That always interested me to think, if it is about strategy, price action, indicators, then there are many great strategies available in the youtube and in paid courses, regardless of this, fellow traders books losses!

That always inspired me to think that there is something other above this all technical nonsense.

However, Iā€™m not avoiding all this technical analysis, but psychology and risk management is that thing, which i think trader learns at the end, after booking all the losses. (After 2-3 years)

Although, he/she has to compulsorily learn, but a newbie trader always give least and less focus on psycology and risk management. He just engulfed into the tech analysis and stretagies.

Ofcourse, Strategy is your weapon, but the hand, which holding, is your psycology and risk management.

Without proper psycology and risk management, you will cut yourself through your weapon (strategy).

I think, maybe Iā€™m wrong, but it is psycology and risk management, doing trading according to strategy without influenced by greed and fear, is one of the most important edge, one can carry in the trading!

1 Like

Edge is something which can make you money with high probability of conviction. It is fundamental and dynamic in nature. For example, market makers have a fundamental edge which is the market structure itself.

Why do you delete? You donā€™t have edge.

@Celina You donā€™t agree with me?

Do you have an edge or just putting definitions?

Iā€™m answering the question. I may or may not

Are you or not? There is no maybe or maybe.

There is only may or may not. Can you tell tomorrow up or down?

Thatā€™s not relevant. I am asking if you have an edge in the market or you are just an aspirant.

What do you think?

Damn, you sure canā€™t answer a reply honestly.

You are slowly getting thereā€¦

Well, the blind leading the blind then.