When Nirmala Sitharaman dodges a question on high taxes in India

( Potentially off-topic.
But, hey! this might help others who feel high-taxes are a pain.
Here goes…)

@SpacemanSpiff very well put :+1:t4:

However, none of these public observations
that you shared in the previous post, were new to me.

So, i thought to myself,
why do i have a such a positive outlook about the situation we find ourselves in?? :thinking:

Here’s what i came up with -

Early on in my life, i read about Circles of Influence/concern.
- That ingrained the habit of not blaming factors outside of my circle of control/influence.
- Apparently this has enabled me to find opportunities, where others see none.

Over the years we have apparently engaged in various activities to earn.

• Scaling my activities, was limited by time (no. of hours in a day x no. days in a week)

• initially i scaled my activities to 2x by simply dedicating more time
      • instead of (8x5)hrs/week, spent (13x6)hrs/week.
    • subsequently identified parts that i could automate and did that to scale further
      • while reducing time i actively spend as well.
    • any capital in hand went into a HODL portfolio.
      • amassed sufficient capital that
        i do not need to look to the markets for growth,
        but focus more on capital-preservation.
    • paid various i-didnt-even-know-that-tax-slab-existed “high-taxes” over the years
      • in my case, i did not (still do NOT) feel having to pay taxes
        was ever a limiting factor in amassing capital.
  • Apparently your activities have hit some limits to being scaled further.

• Limited by capital? Something else?
    • Taxes eating into potential income/profit seem to be easy/obvious scapegoat to blame for inability to increase capital further?
    • Do you see any other ways to scale further?

PS: Nihilism ahead. Not for the faint-hearted.

:100: agreed. So will i.
IMHO, things have to get a lot worse before they reset / get any better.
Even when India improves, it is in a shittier world now.

Tomorrow, even if (sure, a big IF) India becomes the best country in the world,
in a shit world, it is still shit.

That doesn’t limit an individual though.

yes i get that, you focus on what you can control. But that does not mean its not visible.

The only thing that actually affects me right now is air quality, eventually i will have to move to a cleaner city ( thankfully i dont live in delhi). For now, i can only fix the air within my room/house.

yeah, did not know that surcharges apply to entire income.

Na, i am compounding every year and most of my post tax income goes stays with trading capital. I don’t spend that much.
Already have multiple systems in stocks/index future and will keep adding more scalable ( and probably lower return) systems with time.
My main stock system is scaling beyond my expectation, probably because of influx of retail into stocks. Eventually will add investing systems on weekly, so that should scale quite a bit i think and will have lower taxes.

Taxes do make it slower, so it takes more time to reach targets. I will probably reach my initial capital target within a couple of years. And that’s much more than i need, atleast in India.

The reason to look at markets outside India is because of how many there are. Could be fun / a challenge / and also great for diversification with smoother equity curve, plus reduces heavy regulation risk we have in India. Maybe one day Indian currency will open up, but does not seem likely. Perhaps if we manage to substitute oil imports.

This might be cyclical too, atleast as per Dalio. And we might be entering tougher phases. But these are long term trends, maybe they will skip past our lifetime and some more…

1 Like

@SpacemanSpiff India is still a poor country. Its economy looks big because of huge population. Look at the per capita income for a more realistic picture. So, don’t compare it with the likes of USA or China. Instead compare it with the poorer countries of Africa or Central America.

If you want to move out, please do it ASAP. Immigration norms are tightening day by day across all developed nations. You never know what’s coming in next 5 to 10 years when you actually decide to immigrate.

1 Like

Yes. Indeed.
Unlike capital gains tax, STT is an Indirect tax, and so it affects traders a lot.
I am happy to pay CG tax (not STT), it feels fair.

When they are going to tax agriculture income? At least they should tax the rich farmers and earmark those receipts to supplement Kisan Samman Nidhi.

Taxes are really high !

Highest today is 42% and at one time it was 97%. Not defending the 42% rate though.

1 Like