When will a person get the Dividend?

Do a person receive the dividend for stocks purchased before the ex-dividend date but sold on the ex-dividend date?

Another important note to consider: as long as you purchase a stock prior to the ex-dividend date, you can then sell the stock any time on or after the ex-dividend date and still receive the dividend.

Yes.

Yes.

Thank you. I was not sure about the quote because I got it from a website about the U.S stock market. So, I was not sure it is the same for the stocks on the Indian market.

If interested, you can read more about the corporate actions from Varsity.

Thank you. I’ll read it.
Also, I just got confused by this question - https://www.quora.com/I-purchased-a-stock-one-day-before-ex-dividend-date-and-sold-it-on-the-ex-dividend-date-but-why-am-I-not-receiving-any-dividend

Recently I bought 16 shares of Pfizer on 5th May CNC and sold them on 6th May CNC (the Ex-dividend date). But I have not received the dividend yet (and apparently the payment date was 19th May). Are there cases where I buy a cum dividend share before the ex-dividend and still my name would not come up in the company’s record of shareholders on record date (in this case the record date was 8th May) and hence would not be eligible for dividend? If yes, can you please explain those in detail. If no, what can I do claim my dividend? Regards.

Thanks for the reply, but I think what you said is not quite true. Found this post.

Just checked my Zerodha account ledger. It’s correct. The dividend amount will get credited to your Zerodha account on the Thursday after the dividend payment date. In my case the dividend payment date was 19th May. The dividend amount was credited to my Zerodha Equity account on 21st May (which was the Thursday after 19th May).

Umm, as soon as the company pays out the dividend to the shareholders bank account.

SMH.

I think the dividend gets credited to the bank account.

If the stocks were not debited from your demat account and instead from the brokers pool, then the broker will be credited the dividend which will be passed on to your margin.

1 Like

I had a question. When you did your BTST trade on Pfizer, as the dividend amount was over 5000, did the amount credited to you (as margin by Zerodha) have TDS deducted on it?

Yes. The amount was credited to my margin post TDS (7.5%) deduction. The dividend amount was 16 x 320 = 5120. The amount credited was 4736.

1 Like

What about the 7.5% TDS then? Do you get the TDS credit and certificate from Zerodha? Or is it lost forever?

Generally when shares are not pledged and present in demat account, the dividend paying company cuts TDS and also provides the TDS certificate at a later date. We can claim the TDS while filing our IT returns.

7.5% is Dividend Distribution Tax that the company has to pay to government and hence is deducted before payment. We cannot claim any return on that.

Oh thanks a lot for clearing the confusion :+1:

This thread deals with your query in more detail (In short, the TDS that Zerodha deducts on the dividend is updated against the respective PAN of the clients, which means it should show up in 26AS and hence it should be possible to claim it back while filing IT returns)