Which demat account is good for small investors?

Can someone suggest to me the best Demat account for small investors?

If you don’t want to pay account opening charge and annual maintenance charge and wan’t to open with a reliable stock broker then go with Dhan or Finvasia.

1 Like

For small investor okay so it would be zerodha if you don’t multiple account and acc balance in trading account is less than 50k you will be under bsda demat account , only you have to pay acc opening charge. But if you have multiple than dhan.

I won’t recommend Finvasia as web platform is worse than Dhan but you can’t try both as they don’t have amc or acc opening charge…

Dp charge is less in Finvasia.

And one thing is that you can’t demat in dhan online and rest of the two you can close online.

2 Likes

I have checked and DP charges are less in Finvasia.

I have Zerodha account, everything is good here. Can you compare Zerodha and Finvasia and tell the differences? How was your experience with Finvasia?

On cost Finvasia offers real zero unlike zerodha. If some one is taking lot of trades - scalpers, option sellers etc the transaction charges one save is immense. Also for some one starting there is no account opening, AMC charges etc unlike zerodha.

Frontend platform Shoonya I didn’t experience any feature lags from Kite (except Iceberg orders). Also Shoonya has in built full blown option chain unlike Kite.

If you are someone looking to pledge mutual funds note that FInvasia haircut for mutual funds is 75% unlike 90% for zerodha. All other cash equivalents like liquidbees and sgbs have 92% and 90 % margin after haircut and all other stocks also offer industry standard haircuts.

Customer support is way better at Finvasia.

Backoffice Finvasia was way behind Zerodha until yesterday. But they have now narrowed down the difference with a more modern interface that they launched today.

3 Likes

charting: zerodha
pledge charge : Finvasia (zero)
haircut: zerodha ( less compare to Finvasia )
option chain: Finvasia
web platform: Zerodha (altogether technical analysis on both donot save)
mobile platform: Finvasia (after recent update)
withdrawal: Finvasia ( same day but request before 5pm eve)
Brokerage on intraday: Finvasia ( zero per trade)
Demat acc: Zerodha
DP charge: Finvasia (rs 9)
Acc opening charge: Finvasia (zero)
Unlocking commedities segment charge: Finvasia (zero)

More segment unlocking: Finvasia (require less qualification compare to Zerodha where 1.2 lac income in itr or 10k average balance for 6 month ) you can unlock segment in Finvasia as below as penny stock delivery proof whereas you require 10k worth in dp holding of Zerodha.

Client base: Zerodha
Trustability: Zerodha
Community: Zerodha
Contact Note: Finvasia
Call and trade: Finvasia(zero)
Derivative trading ignoring brokerage:Zerodha

IF BUSY SOMEWHERE ON EXPIRY DAY WITH CNC ORDER:
Derivative Delivery Protection: Finvasia(as they auto-square off any position if you don’t have fund to take delivery , RMS team work after 2 pm to square off position)
Derivative Risk: Zerodha

One thing I notice on Finvasia is that hedge positon donot break if we try to square off buy position, if we don’t have enough fund for derivative, thus protecting from shortfall margin penalty.

OVERALL:
Investment plan: ZERODHA
Trading plan: FINVASIA

3 Likes

Thank you @t7support @247NH

I want to do some swing trading, very short term trading. So the DP charges of Finvasia are making me think open an account with them. DP charges in Zerodha are 13.5+18% GST, in Finvasia they are 9+GST. I will be saving 33% of charges with Finvasia.

Thank you both.

Correction…In Kite Zerodha has added option chain lately.

1 Like

It won’t make much difference. Suppose you buy stocks worth ₹ 100000 and sell them at 5% profit. You earn 5000. In Zerodha you pay 15.93 and in Finvasia 10.62. The difference is just ₹ 5.93. Even if you do 10 transactions like this in a month you save just ₹. 59.3

2 Likes

The account if opened will be for trading, there will be many transactions, there will frequency of selling, and as DP charges are levied on every sell, I will be saving good.

If there will be 200 trades of equal amount, I will be paying 3186 in Zerodha, and 2124 in Finvasia, a good 33% less in Finvasia. And if the number of trades increase, the benefit is even more.

If I am a successful trader, I would not have bothered about moving, I am with Zerodha for a while, and everything is satisfactory, but I don’t know if the effort I put in will be successful or not, so as charges will be less, and profit may or may not come, I am thinking of opening one.

Then go for it. I am also a Equity Delivery trader and I’m barely able to do 6-8 trades a month. So I calculated from that point of view. If you’re taking 200-300 trades a month then it makes sense to switch.

1 Like

I am trying to see if scalping is possible in delivery based trading, very short term trading. So there will be many trades with small amounts, and charges cannot be ignored.

I guess you are a swing to positional trader, fewer but bigger trades.

The only charge that zerodha has in high is off market transfer charge compare to other broker but whatever other charge are computated are good and worth atleast . You would confused on delivery trade on finvadia. And you also saying for investment than zerodha is 100% sure the best from both. Trade and call in finvasia is free but its not worth of, as team are unexperienced.

2 Likes

Why will there is confusion with Finvasia? Is their web interface not good like Zerodha?

I will not have any other long term holdings with Finvasia, whatever I will buy with them, I will sell sooner or later.

33% more charges is big to me, so all this discussion.

No, I also scalp n delivery. I book profits at 1-2% of purchase price.

Then why is that you are only taking 6-8 trades a month? I thought your return expectation is much more than 2%. As scalpers make many many trades for small %, swing or positional traders expect more, so they make fewer trades.

Are you focusing on having more winning rate, so fewer trades in a month? You are making sure that almost every trade will be profitable?

Yes, my strike rate is 100% since September 2020. Nobody would believe this but it’s true. And I don’t use any stoplosses. Stocks sometimes go down drastically after my purchase but eventually recover to hit my TP. Had I been using SL, 90% of my trades will hit sl.

I know looking at my strategy people would call me a fool or an idiot but this is what works for me.

2 Likes

If you are still profitable even from last November or so, the time when markets got corrected, then that is impressive.

One question here, for me and for all others, how could you sure that your stocks will recover if they fall much. Also even they recover, that could take months and months and your capital is stuck.

It is that you have bigger capital so you don’t mind waiting for months, and you can invest in other trades continuously? Or your stock selection universe is such that, they are bound to go up and meet your TP, sooner or later?

Can you explain, thank you.

Don’t get me wrong, but is the effort worth the return of 1%? What has been your return per annum?

I want to try scalping in delivery, because I can get a quick 3% and the overall return could be in the vicinity of 12-15% in a year.

And I don’t look at no fundamentals, just charts, and I go beyond Nifty and check Nifty 500.

Can you give an example of your number of trades per year, profitable trades, break even trades? I ask this because I am trying to understand how could you get 20% PA from 1%.

Also, how could you trade just basing on fundamentals, how could you possible think that a stock, even if it is a Nifty stock, will go up without looking at a chart or the gains it has been making? I mean there has to be a graphical or mathematical angle to fundamentals for taking a trade.