Why can't derivative market run 24 hours a day?

I think there is an overnight market in the GIFT city exchanges. Both on the BSE and the NSE. I think institutions can already use those exchanges to take positions in the overnight market.

Maybe, the cost benefit analysis would not have suited the brokers. The broker/MF lobby is very strong in India. When SEBI came up with the new multicap fund rules, the AMCs immediately lobbied and got a new flexi cap category so that they wouldn’t be affected.

2 Likes

I can give some points for discussion - this from my perspective. There isn’t simply volume for market to operate 24x7.

1. Majority markets operate for certain duration of the day when there is substantial supply and demand ( Vegetable, fruits), Very less transaction at 12 AM midnight.
  2. Only Some markets, where the supply and demand are continuos for 24 hours, are open 24x7 (Currency, Commodity), as these are globally traded,
  3. If stock market operates 24x7, there will be a period where volumes will be so less. There is a chance for manipulation. How will it be to see an upper circuit because a big buyer came into the market at midnight triggered by some news somewhere in the globe.
  4. Due to less volume, there is not much of price action, In such cases what will happen to the charts and indicators that depend on averages.
1 Like

It’s only the index futures market which is being talked about, not the whole stock market. Index futures are traded overnight all over the world. Even for Nifty, the futures are traded on SGX.

Having index futures trade overnight, allows market participants to hedge their portfolio and not be at the mercy of a gap open the next day.

Because traders and brokers like to sleep.
Because trading is a full time business, not part time hobby
Because many traders have a life outside of trading.

Many more reasons.

Just because some Tom Dick and Harry are doing it, doesn’t mean we should also do it. Lets borrow sane things from US and another countries. Not the insane things.

Subject says Derivative Market, Derivative markets means also stock derivatives , not only index derivatives.

Position hedging can be done any time when the market is open. For that why the market has to be open 24X7.

People here wanting to have to have their cake (office job) & eat it too (part-time trading), like as if full-time traders don’t have a life or commitments of their own…

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right the post says derivatives market. But, generally just the trading of index futures suffices because you can hedge against systematic risk. That’s how it happens in foreign markets too. It’s just the index futures that trades overnight, not the stock specific derivatives or even the index options market. I think in those cases, liquidity can become an issue.

True, you can hedge during the market hours but overnight trading is to hedge against any new information that may come after market hours. It’s not necessary for anyone to compulsorily trade as a lot of people are talking about here. It’s nothing to do with losing your sleep or having a work life balance. If there’s no overnight trading, then there’s a gap the next day. If there is overnight trading, then there is no gap because the market is continuous. You may choose to take or exit a position during overnight trading or wait for the regular market to open and then take a call.

1 Like

Yes, just because some one gets addicted to the stock market the whole day, doesn’t mean that we should not have longer trading hrs. It’s someone’s personal problem. Doesn’t affect us. Also, a successful/disciplined trader will not get addicted to be on it the whole day. In fact, even now a lot of people tend to look at their positions / holdings etc even after the market close. So, this will not be a problem, it’s up to the individual.

This is a valid point, I totally agree. Like we all will be asleep during the night and FIIs from other country might manipulate our market over night when there is no supply/demand.
24*7 trading might be suitable for cryptos, forex market where the whole world is into it, like one will be awake when the other is not active.

yes, index derivatives is more imp than the whole derivatives. Atleast, this can run for extra hrs.

Let them sleep, Who says them not to sleep ? it’s up to to them :rofl:

Yes, it is a business that requires skill/creativity/discipline etc and no one said that it’s a hobby (in this post).

How is this insane ? There is nothing wrong in taking the good/meaningful things from others.

I really don’t understand this cake example.

no one said that, read the post again. Did anyone here say that ? No. You are assuming it.

If not 24*7, what about extended hrs ?
Like NSE currency derivatives trades till 5 PM and even MCX is open till the night.
How about 16 hrs ? Like SGX nifty. Or extending the time period like
9 AM to 5 PM or
9 AM to 9 PM. ??

BTW, thanks for interacting and sharing your opinions about this.

1 Like

Think of 12th march 2020, Trump banned all flights from the US to EU around 8am IST. Markets fell world over and Nifty gapped down by 4% and closed around 8% lower. Wouldn’t it help to immediately hedge your portfolio on such days rather than waiting for the market to open? It could have been worse, he may have banned the flights in the evening of the previous day and we could have had a worse than 4% gap down. There will be many such examples if we dig deeper.

Yes. True I agree.
They need to extend trading hours upto some extend.
3:30 PM is enough!
They need to extend the time till 5 PM or 9 PM at least. (Derivatives atleast).

What’s your view on this ? @nithin @siva
As a broker and a trader. From both perspective ?

Forex trading is 24 * 7.

yes it is, but unfortunately its illegal to trade currency pairs that doesn’t have INR in India. Only currency that is available in NSE is tradable. That too till 5 PM only. So, there is nothing that runs 24*7 (for us to trade).

Forex trading is 24x5. The market is closed on the weekends. The crypto market is the true 24x7 market.

US derivative markets are not open 24 hours a day, though such a proposal before the SEC is pending

As a broker having markets open for 24 x 7 is good for the business in terms of revenue for sure. :slight_smile: But I personally think it is detrimental to a traders mental health in the long run. If it isn’t good for the trader, it isn’t good for the brokerage firm in the long run as well. Trading is stressful and not having markets open all the time gives traders important break from the markets.

10 Likes

Agree, and I hope 24x7 trading is never allowed. Thanks for supporting this.

Yes, 24 hrs is too much. I agree.
Later we changed the discussion to increase in trading hrs like 5 PM or 9 PM (derivatives only).
Whats your view on that ?

Seriously buddy!!! Awesome answer.

You gave words to my thoughts. I guess that’s one of the reasons you are where you are and we are where we are :slight_smile:

Are you kidding??

You didn’t say it is a hobby, but trading part time is nothing less than a hobby. If you’ve ever traded full time, you would know.

Once again, you prove that you are a newbie in trading. Do you really think a trader can sleep peacefully with the market on? Sleep is important for mental health, which is very difficult with 24 hours market. So 24 hours market is detrimental to the traders health. You have various 24 hours market, For example crypto, please show your creativity there and let the serious equity traders sleep peacefully.

There is nothing wrong in taking the good / meaningful things from other countries. Problem is what many are proposing (24 hours market) is neither good nor meaningful in the long run. Hence it is insane and thus the idea should be REJECTED and placed right beside the idea of keeping your office open 24 hours with you working there all the time.

1 Like