Why day trading is a bad idea

This is all crap. I am a tenured intraday trader. And I always keep a strict stop loss and a take profit. My profit ranges from 30 to 40 % per month. And I don’t believe in all this crap that people say about keeping a SL is a bad idea. Don’t ever listen to that advises. However one thing is for sure true. i.e. making profits from intraday trading is all pure maths and self confidence. People who lack these 2 constraints will definitely fail.

5 Likes

30 to 40 % per month? Wow, that’s amazing. How long have you been trading?

I have also stopped using SL’s these days… Instead I go with the diamond strategy of starting with small quantities and buying on dips and enforcing a net positive by increasing the quantities as the prices lower.

1 Like

Not that I encourage others to not use SL, but since I trade small I know for sure that I can forego the unrealised loss and stick on to it by trying to average out.

It is not scientific but its working for me altleast in the present.

1 Like

Well I am a toddler in trading ,so cant say much but yes its the most complex thing as opposite to what most beginner thinks…anyway

What makes me curious is this 90% loose and 10% wins for retail traders ,who ( which organisation) did this statistical survey .First of all the data for trades done by traders could only be known by exchange ,not by any individual brokerage firm as they only have data for their customers neither the brokerage firm or exchange have the rights to share this information for any purpose (other than legal issue) and if exchange we have NSE and BSE and some more I guess ,they all have to compile the data then only we could get the complete data set (sample) to conduct the statically survey for India only,now think about the exchanges all over the world.

Could anybody point me to any statistical survey conducted for this reason with obviously with valid data not some estimates shared by some brokerage firms…

Or is this 90% loose and 10% wins is another speculation :smile:

2 Likes

Interesting.
What I found most intriguing is the “pure math” part.
Can you elaborate on the math used :grinning:

Dear @debjit actually it’s not 90%… It’s 97% of traders who keep on losing and only 3% become Consistent Winner.

Just keep on Trading actively in Future Segment Or Intraday Cash Segmentfor 2 to 3 months and you will get the proof (practical proof).

1 Like

Never knew NSE sells data like this - which makes it more obvious now that individual scrips get rigged aka manipulated. I am NOT a newbie. I have been trading for 5 yrs now. SLs being hit is not a bad idea but given a short intraday time period and volatility, when they r hit continuously it shatters confidence. Thanks for letting me know tht NSE sells data. I would never ever do day trading n yes I aint an FII to move d market. Am a mere retail trader. And they seldom move it except yuletide trading days may be.

1 Like

Dear Joe I have been trading small as well and making consistent profits. I made loss the moment i raised my exposure. If people r able to make consistent profits my regards to them and may they continue doing it. I am now trading futures and am sure will succeed on it once I get the hang of it. At least Nifty is a combination of 50 scrips and not one. Cheers.

1 Like

One should always put a SL becuz closing manually it is a tough call on mind. At least mine. Putting an SL is the only panacea to save ur capital or prove tht the analysis has gone wrong. It ws my observation though i wont advise not putting it.

1 Like

The only one minting money r institutions govt n brokers n give a take few pros.
Untill u r a veteran , all u can expect is negative balance sheet.
Why do u think ZERODHA has 60 day challenge lmao, cuz they know only minority with luck can achieve it lol.
All fancy gimmicks r just to absorb in the naive retail herd.

4 Likes

Just keep on Trading actively in Future Segment Or Intraday Cash Segment for 2 to 3 months and you will get the proof (practical proof).

@AkashKB Well that will only prove two things if I am profitable I can trade and if not then I cant trade :smile:

May be its 99% lose and 1% win but do we have any statistical survey conducted for this reason with valid data, and not just some estimates shared by some brokerage firms…

1 Like

I read this article long time back.

Got remembered after reading your post.

I dont know authencity but they are saying it as research.

1 Like

I dont know authencity but they are saying it as research.

@Vamsi that’s the problem they say a lot of stuff but there is no data to back them up even the article above :slight_smile:

I have been trading for a year now and I am making average of 50 percentage a week.Although I only became profitable recently.

3 Likes

50 percent return per week seems a lot. How did you achieve this? What’s the capital used?

Ask this question to a 60 years old day trader, hint, you may find him in your local slum.

In my view, stock market is lottery, so day trading is satta…

1 Like

I actually use only 10000 as capital but am not yet ready to raise it yet.As I said I need to make sure to be consistent first.Trading comes from mere experience.I had to loose around 50000 before finally becoming profitable that too took like a year of constant trying.If you don’t quit and continue hardest then a way will open up for sure.

1 Like

Just my 2 cents … what works for 10K, doesn’t work for 10L and what works for 10L doesn’t work for 1Cr. The variables change and its effect on your trading is profound.

2 Likes