Why I am unable to buy SGB in Zerodha

Only when depositories start allowing inter depository transfer.

1 Like

Inter depository transfer is allowed i think i read somewhere. No?

RBI allowed it but still these depositories need to come to common terms.

1 Like

I have closed my hdfc securities demat & trading account and transferred my portfolio to zerodha. Only SGB is yet to be transferred. Everything else has been moved to Zerodha. When I enquired hdfc securities they told SGB will take a month or so. Let’s see.

1 Like

@siva, As mentioned above, the transfer of SGB from my HDFC Securities account to Zerodha account is stuck. I received a response from HDFC Securities Help as under:-

What do you advise? Sounds complicated to me.

Can check this post.

any update on this? can we buy SGB now from Zerodha platform?

Not yet, depositories need to come to common terms, nothing is pending from our end.

1 Like

How is it possible that other brokers like Kotak securities allow us to buy SGB in the secondary market? @siva

Operationally it involves lot of work, so they 1st materialize it from one depositary and then dematerialize it, lot of manual work is involved and is not scalable at our client base.

I find that sovereign gold bonds are one of the excellent investments in current market environment. As world economy is heading toward slowdown, I think that price of gold can only go up, so I support any sort of investments in gold

Does the inter exchange clearance simplification enable one to start buying SGB in the secondary market?

Yes.

That’s a great news!
Recently, when I shifted my SGB from HDFC Sec (NSDL) to Zerodha (CDSL) I went through the tedious process of Remat/ Demat.
How soon Zerodha will facilitate buy/ sell of SGB in the secondary market?

Depends on how soon inter-depositories will come to terms.

@ Siva

If we can’t buy on Secondary Market how does the sell work, doesn’t it not involve lots of paper work similar to buy, can you explain how sell works but not buy?

Thanks

You can go through this thread from the start.

Which brokers allow secondary purchase of SGB units?

Share khan and hdfc sec…
I have share Khan’s account

This is still not working?