Why is Zerodha taking so long to offer US investing?

Hey @siva … just keeping the thread alive for updates…

okay.

So just trying my luck here, if any tentative dates are there :wink:

1 Like

“for sure”

1 Like

@nithin @siva One way I see the remittance charges issue being resolved is if the money never really get converted from INR to USD. There is a company called Transferwise which does this. They maintain accounts in different countries and when a inter-currency transfer needs to happen, they take the money and deposit it into a local currency bank account in the sender’s country & then according to prevailing currency conversion rate, remit the money from a local currency bank account located in the receiver’s country. This way the money never really gets converted between currencies. A short video by the company explains how it happens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLKKzRvOsLQ&t=45

Their fees are around 2.5% for a 1000$ transfer and reduce as the amount increases (around 1.8% for 10,000$) for INR to USD transfers. Their USD to INR transfers is even cheaper with fees hovering around 1%. All these calculations are done using their publically available calculator. One of the thing that I found interesting was that they shared how exactly the fees they charge are used behind the scenes (Wise Fees for Sending Money). According to that, the real cost of currency conversion is only around 1/3 their fees (around 0.65-0.9% for INR to USD & 0.4-0.35% for USD to INR conversion) and remaining 2/3 is used by them (building the product, customer support, office cost, their margin, etc).

Also, seeing a similar opportunity (aka lower currency conversion fees) , recently they announced that they were working on providing investment options for the money deposited with them (This is for people who have multi-currency accounts with them) - https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/30/fintech-start-up-transferwise-gets-fca-approval-to-offer-investments.html

TransferWise said it expects to launch its first investing feature in the next 12 months. Though the firm is starting with the U.K., it hopes to also roll the product out internationally later down the line.

1 Like

Thanks, our team checked on this but there are some compliance issues, anyhow we are checking other routes as well.

1 Like

How hard it is to get RBI permission to remit more than 250000 USD per financial year ?

so so anything going on here … is it progressing or this thing is halted for good… ? any updates plz…

Saw this statement from @nithin in a recent article.

Discount broking firm Zerodha, which is India’s largest brokerage in terms of number of active clients, is also working on a similar product and will be launching it soon.

“We are working on it and while it is a good facility to offer, the remittance process could prove to be a dampener in the offering due to the costs involved,” said Nithin Kamath, founder and CEO, Zerodha.

“The remittance process involves a cost and hence there is money lost in that spread. Plus, the budget introduced a TDS (tax deducted at source) for remittances above Rs 7 lakh. There is a view that this product is more suitable for high net worth individuals and a retail investor is better off taking exposure through a mutual fund,” added Kamath.

FDI AND FII investing in India and the Indians want to invest in the foreign markets outside India !
can any1 explain this irony ? :crazy_face:

1 Like

FDI n FII invest here for better interest rates n returns… Indians want to invest in US stocks for hedging against rupee volatility. Also to participate in growth stories.

Remember US is a land of startups n futuristic technologies…

FDI and FII invests majority of their money outside India… There is no irony… Only laziness…

FDI n FII invest in growing economies like India … they get better return than deploying in developed countries

But still their majority money is invested outside india

Are Indian retail investors allowed to invest in the offshore derivative markets?

@siva , hey, so are the things progressing with RBI approvals or hold up for good.

No, this will take more than expected time, also many other things are going on currently.

Thanks @siva for replying. You never miss one :slight_smile:

Still any tentative timeframe. Please don’t say that more than expected means no chance this year :slight_smile:

Likely should happen by end of this year.

@siva I’m sorry if I missed it somewhere, but along with buying stocks, will Zerodha allow buying trade options for US equities?

Also just wanted to say, it would be amazing if you guys could launch a low-cost platform to invest in US stocks. I’ve always wanted to, but the Indian market and banks make it near impossible with the number of fees and paperwork.