Why should we stick with Zerodha?

Which one is faster? IB or Kite API?

No idea, donā€™t have any way to test that. But from my trading point of view both are fine.
IB i donā€™t think there is ever any delay other than network. Platform is very stable and much ahead of competition.

They have some other issues for my use case, but platform is great.

You mean api issues?

No api is good ( but somewhat painful to code for due to async structure but mangeable), platform is great + they have a lots and lots of order management stuff that i have not even tried to check yet.

My issues because of which i cannot trade with them -

1. Quarterly settlement has a very slow turnaround time, end up missing most of the day. This is the biggest issue.
  2. For those trading stocks intraday, they have stopped giving leverage ( used to be 4x many years back) + shorts have problematic borrowing mechanism taken from US markets. So basically cannot use intraday for stocks cash. But should be fine for FnO. Option buyers who dont need margin can easily use this + Z as backup i think.
  3. Not sure, but i donā€™t think they allow pledging of Mutual funds. Probably donā€™t allow pledging itself but i could be mistaken. i did not ask them as 1) is deal breaker for me.

For someone who does not mind above, Can recommend IB. Very stable, very good platform, free api, free data, discount brokerage ( cash beyond 10L and fno beyond 100? lots, brokerage structure changes - so can split order).
They probably have the best platform in the country, certainly miles ahead of Zerodha - but they service a very small customer base. They primarily seem to work as backoffice for other countries.

1 Like

Nice. They donā€™t even give like 2x leverage? If I want to short 1 share of Reliance at 2600 in MIS, i need to pay full 2600 INR as margin?

That is done by sebi

1 Like

Most discount brokers revenue is gonna decrease by 15% in next 1 year or 2.Rbi has approved upi for secondary market transaction (like asba for primary market) no float fund revenue
I think in future margin will be blocked by Upi for option strategy also

2 Likes

As per SEBI/Exchanges, minimum requirement is 20% of the share value (in terms of leverage, its 5x). I guess almost every broker follows the same. Read more on Peak margin : Update 4th Aug 2020 - Margins for trading stocks & Intraday leverages

Donā€™t know current status but some years ago they had stopped intraday margin in cash completely.

Also to short in stocks, even for intraday, i think they had a borrowing mechanism taken from US markets. So you need to borrow to short and if not available then cannot short. This is how i remember it, i have never taken a trade in intraday stocks with them for these reasons.

1 Like