Why Zerodha does not provide Expired Index Option Chart?

Even after being one of the biggest broker with huge profits and infrastructure, & resource, Why Zerodha does not provide Historical OHLC Index Option Chart or expired expiry option chart to plot by capturing/storing the streaming data? Capturing the streaming data is not a big deal for zerodha, then what is stoping zerodha to provide that?

Especially when index option is one of the most traded product?

As the option expired the whole contract got deleted from the system, we can’t plot the chart after the expiry even If we want to see, to identify mistake or oppurtunity or just to see how it played!

Why zerodha does not provide a option to load/ plot expired option by selecting the particuler expiry and date?

Any explanation or future possibility?
@nithin @siva @Sensibull

What historical data will you plot? Nifty Aug 2021 options have a history of 3 months, and you get to see all the 3 months data.

If you are talking about plotting Nifty 16000 calls present month historical data, that makes no sense. That chart will have no pattern to follow as such.

The only continuous data that makes sense is futures data, which we already offer.

1 Like

IF we want to plot “21 September Bank nifty CE or PE for the 27th Expiry 2018” and see how that played out (Lost heavily on that day due to the crash), what mistake we did, how we could avoid or our current system help us avoid such crash or help us be in the right direction or not!! or If we want to see how option behaves on Brexit announcement date or the following dates or on NoteBandi days 8/9 November 2016? or for some recent events like Nirmala Candle day or February / march 2020 when the market crash and option premiums & Indiavix were sky high! How could we review, examine, identify, improvise, modify our existing system unless we have that particular market phase data to plot?
Make sense?

In lots of places we read that, to be successful in trading you need to review your trades, maintain trade journal etc. but how could we we review, examine, identify, improvise, modify our existing system or improve our existing option system seeing our text/excel trade journal or Zerodha console PnL report, unless we can actually plot that particular CE/PE data on chart?

There are platform that let us plot historical expired Index option data in Intraday Time format (Screenshot Attached) but they use delayed data and their charting tools is also not as advance as Zerodha!

As Zerodha has the necessary resource & tools, it can easily provide such option. Though Zerodha does not need to clutter the main Trading Platform Instead it can create a subdomain like ‘historical.zerodha.com’ and there we can chose expired expiry, and select date, option type from drop down menu(as you can in the screenshot!) and plot it in zerodha’s ChartiQ chart! and also zerodha won’t incur any extra cost to capture the RT streaming data and store it in a database!!

@nithin

Not possible from our end, also don’t think any broker can provide it. If you really want to do backtesting and all, I would recommend to use API to download data and store it once for every expiry, if one can code a bit they can automate this program.

That would have possible If every Trader could code!!

May I ask the reason Why it is not possible for Zerodha or any other broker for that matter to provide historical data to plot by capturing RT data to database? Is there any regulation issue or cost issue? Curious to know!!

As they say 99% traders lose money and Zerodha makes most of its money from Intraday Trading yet it refuse to empower its traders/clients by providing the most important tools/data to improve profitability of their clients/traders!!!

1 Like

hello, what is the name of the platform whose screenshot you have attached?

It’s not like those 1% are making money because of having this data, that same 1% or 5% remains the same over the periods when most of the features which are available now are not there, charts are a rare thing that time. Now there are multiple indicators, algos at users discretion or even educational recourses but still the ratios are not changed much.
Check this post by Nithin on what it takes to win at trading.

The reason for no one offering this is it will be a huge data to maintain with no real use for 99.9% of clients.

At personal level from my experience I can say it is on individual to learn and do things, should be ready to invest some money and efforts to learn things and can’t blame it on some one else.

1 Like

https://options.icharts.in

2 Likes

We can use Historical data to backtest. I am currently saving the data of all expires via API, but I am missing the historical data, so I am not able to backtest properly.

Many times, future stocks trade at premium or discount, the difference might be small but it is important. Same with options, need it to backtest properly.

If you have those data stored in your DB, It would be really good, if you could provide access to that via Kite API.

It’s doesn’t make any sense if you want to have the historical chats of each strike price call and put options …because options price movement doesn’t depends only on the underlying but it also have extrinsic value which changes frequently.

Charts may not make sense, but If you give us access to expired option data via Kite API, it can be used to backtest and improve our system. @nithin

Not possible as we also don’t keep it, if you are API user you can easily save it before expiry and use as you want.

Hey can you tell me how can I do the same

Can @Sensibull provide historical option data??
I guess many them would like to manually backtest certain strategies like Calander spreads a few arbitrages and stuff like that.

1 Like