Why Zerodha with Nithin - Episode 1

Hey everyone, we’re starting a new series called Inside Zerodha. The idea with the series is to you give you a window into everything we are doing at Zerodha, talk about all our products, answer queries that you might have about using our platforms, give you a window into what it takes to run a brokerage and more.

In the first video of the series, Nithin talks to Prateek Singh, the founder of LearnApp about:

1. The origins of Zerodha
  2. The initial years and the challenges
  3. How the regulatory landscape has evolved over the decade since Zerodha started
  4. The philosophy behind Zerodha’s transparency
  5. Memorable moments in the journey so far - both good and the bad
  6. How Zerodha makes money
  7. Why should someone choose Zerodha to start investing or trading
  8. Zerodha’s product philosophy
  9. What is Rainmatter and how it came to be
  10. Zerodha’s philosophy behind open stock market educational initiatives
  11. What’s next at Zerodha and a whole lot more.

if you have any questions about anything Zerodha for @nithin, do post them here.

32 Likes

@nithin @Bhuvan

I read an earlier thread where nithin mentioned that his brother runs a prop trading desk under a secondary membership. Is it possible to join that company as a trader? (Assuming you are already profitable off course)

1 Like

Nikhil runs https://www.truebeacon.com/. If you have a positive track record you can write to them with your performance and an overview of your trading strategy.

5 Likes

And also the podcast made by Ranveer aka beerbiceps and Nithin sir was awesome… :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

@nithin

2 Likes

I had a question, would it be possible to also share the latest AUM for Zerodha like Coin’s AUM has been shared?

1 Like

Hi Nithin,

A very interesting episode. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

One question though - what is the story behind the name ‘zerodha’?
You mentioned that zero brokerage (for equity delivery) in your 5th year. So, why zerodha?

@nithin you mentioned that there is always an insider in stocks who knows little more , but how does it affect me , i mean if i am on the right side of the trade maybe that insider is indirectly helping me , and if i am on the wrong side maybe that insider who starts buying or selling before me will help preventing gaps which is again good for me. (I am not talking about penny stock or operators).

2 Likes

is it prop trading firm or Asset management firm ?

Does it including everything, means stocks lying with clients, deposits and zerodha own funds/stocks as well.

Got to know many things from the man himself about Zerodha…
Really inspiring to know about Zerodha’s journey.
I wish and hope you will continue to inspire and grow much bigger and keep the core values intact.

1 Like

Is there a plan to enter into Bitcoin trading platform?

Nithin remarked about this in another thread -

If by AUM you mean the total value of client securities sitting in their Demat account- it is > Rs 50,000 crores (at the current Nifty around 13000 levels).

2 Likes

Ah damn, forgot to answer this in the video. :slight_smile:

We named the company Zerodha, a combination of Zero and “Rodha”, the Sanskrit word for barrier.

It wasn’t every about Zero brokerage, it was about removing all barriers for traders and investors.

3 Likes

It doesn’t affect you if you are investing for the long term. If the insider is invested, you are on the right side of the investor.

But unlike investing, trading F&O or intraday is a zero-sum game. Someone has to make money for someone to lose. So you can potentially be either in the same direction or against the insider if any.

Asset management firm, it is a Category 3 - Alternate investment fund (AIF)

Not until the regulators explicitly allow.

1 Like

They can do intraday trading in equities ? Or they focus on long term investment.

I had a suggestion. Would it be possible to feature statistics like these on Zerodha’s homepage itself (besides other stats like total customers)? Statistics like these could further convince users to become Zerodha’s customers.

1 Like

Long term investments.

Btw intraday trading stops making sense once the capital increases significantly.

3 Likes