CA Afzal Lokhandwala

I was browsing through facebook where I saw an ad of CA Afzal Lokhandwala. This guy claims he made 447% returbs from swing trading in 2020 and won US Investing Championship in 2022. He claims to have created history by being the first trader from India to win this championship.
I googled it and there were articles about him on financial express and outlook.
I don’t know why but I’m unable to believe this. Though I couldn’t find anythinng against him but I still doubt
If he is really making that kind of returns, why is he selling courses and even spending on advertising them.

He’s the Baap of charts there. Financial Express is the same as our own moneycontrol that promoted BoC

Well, US Investing Championship results can’t be fudged. I even went on its official website and checked - the guy is genuine.

You do realize that as compounding isn’t infinite. He can’t generate those returns each year as he grows his account size beyond a few crores.

I’d be better off learning from someone who’s making money than someone who’s not.

Even Mark Minervini runs courses and a group. Everyone is a scammer now?

1 Like

joined 16 mins ago. This is first post. very trustable

Anyway, whether he is a fake or not, championship returns are not real life responsible returns.

Andrea Unger has apparently won it 4 times with some very high returns (600% +). But in his own personal account, he makes around 20% annualized.

Why? Because he does not take that kind of high risk ( kelly criteria type). Aim is to manage risk, to diversify. Not to make astronomical returns with high chance of bankruptcy.
In a video, he said that once he was one trade loss away from not being able to continue in competition. He got lucky. We cannot depend on such luck on our full capital.

We can maybe do better that 20% in India ( lets see for how long …), but not by that much.

Look at this

4 Likes

“championship returns are not real life responsible returns”
Exactly.

One should just look to beat the markets and not aim at outsized returns in real life.

We can maybe do better that 20% in India ( lets see for how long …) - There are people like Mitesh Patel who have been doing it for multiple years.

It’s to be seen after 10 years, where do all of these traders stand.

you deserve to lose money if you believe in this nonsense.

1. CA Afzal Lokhandwala did win the US Investing championship in 2022.

2. The approach in such competitions is to swing for the fences - take big risk. There is an element of luck (and is probably a bad example for traders) They are NOT replicable with any sort of consistency.

3. All the previous winners sold/sell courses. They have that stamp of “champion” and its Big business.

1 Like

I asked same question by commenting on his ad. That if he is making 400% a year why is he selling courses. And my comment got deleted.
If he is really as transparent as he claims, he should have clarified. Or if he didn’t want to reply, he could have left it as it is.

With the stamp of “Champion” he is able to earn crores per month selling courses and offering trading calls (he is sebi reg).

Similarly past winners are millionaires providing similar services.

2 Likes

I was also champion of the local street cricket tourneys, where hitting out of the park means out.

I even added that to my first resume. As I grew up, I deleted these shambolic achievements.

This Afzalwala ad is an endorsement of gambling.

This guy says he only uses price volume analysis and pays no heed to company news or fundamentals. How can that not result in substantial losses when the P/E ratio for example becomes too expensive relative to peers but the charts keep trending upwards on hype and hope?

U.S Investing championship is a genuine contest any one can enter USIC with $20000.
He made 447% in 2022. yes its true. These guys using extreme amount of leverage to get these kind of returns .

How will leverage change % of returns? It will be the same with $100 or $100,000

It will. Your overall leveraged capital is more than your original capital, and returns are calculated on original capital.

2 Likes

Damn, so 400 rupees return on 100 rupees leveraged to 1000, is 300% and not 40%?

percentage of return achieved /gained is calculated based on the principle amount, not on the leverage amount.
if i have the capital of 100000, if i use 3x margin on l00000 =300000
total available funds for me is 400000
if i get 400000 return
total return i get is 400%, not 100%.
returns are calculated on original capital. not on leveraged capital.

1 Like

Losses too compound similarly :sweat_smile:
Most people are not primed to handle high leverage, its not just the final P/L, its also the journey of holding said trade through large MTM swings.

1 Like