How does depositories exactly work?

I am a bit confused regarding how my shares are stored. I have multiple questions.

So, we trade either in NSE or BSE via our broker i.e. Kite. And our shares get stored in a depository. But how is the depository decided?

Does it depend on what exchange we are using? Like for NSE it’s NSDL and for BSE it’s CDSL?

Another question is, what happens if I have bought 100 Niftybees at NSE and later I buy 100 niftybees at BSE? Will these be stored in different depositories?

Your depository is like a bank account for shares.

It is decided by which broker you use. Every broker you open an account with will maintain a different demat account for you.

All Zerodha users have CDSL as their depository. Similar for Groww, Dhan, etc. So if you open an account with Zerodha and groww you’ll have 2 demat accounts, both with CDSL but having separate account number.

If you use only Zerodha you don’t have any involvement with NSDL. You can sell to people who use NSDL but you don’t need to have NSDL account yourself.

I think HDFC securities uses NSDL for their customers.

It doesn’t matter which exchange you buy on. If the share is of the same company, it’ll be clubbed and you can sell them once it’s completely in your depository account.

Your depositary just keeps a record of how many units you own of each ISIN. ISIN is the identifier for each company share, bonds, ETFs, mutual funds, etc. Every listed company will have an ISIN.

So even if zerodha shuts down or some fraud happens, your shares won’t be affected since Zerodha doesn’t hold them and they can’t move/sell it without your permission (TPIN + OTP is needed)

If you buy 100 NIFTYBEES units on BSE and NSE each, you’ll have 200 NIFTYBEES units in your demat account. You can sell these completely or partially on any of the 2 exchanges , irrespective of where you bought it from or whether it was gifted, etc.

2 Likes

Got it.
Thanks a lot :slight_smile: :heart_hands: