Piracy, Plagiarism - Scourge of India?!

piracy
ˈpʌɪrəsi/
noun
noun: piracy; plural noun: piracies
the unauthorized use or reproduction of another’s work.
“software piracy"
synonyms: illegal reproduction, plagiarism, illegal copying, copyright infringement, bootlegging, stealing, theft
"software companies are reluctant to say how much piracy costs them”

plagiarism
ˈpleɪdʒərɪz(ə)m/Submit
noun
noun: plagiarism; plural noun: plagiarisms
the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own.
“there were accusations of plagiarism"
synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing, poaching, appropriation; informalcribbing
"there were accusations of plagiarism”

The two practices that are so deeply embedded in the psyche of Indian Intellectuals that they are wreaking havoc in India - It’s industry, Economy, Commerce, Education, Intellectual fields everywhere.
Many people won’t recognize this, but the same scourge is greatly affecting even a trader/investor community.
I will come to that part latter.
First, Why I started this topic to educate others on the issue. Recently I came across a write-up of one popular trader on a social networking site. He is very popular for his lengthy and beautifully & eloquently written posts that just radiates the knowledge & intelligence of the author. The write ups followed by a customary signature gesture of the “author”, with joined hands, salutations etc.
It was clear that the small group of traders/ investors on that site were fans of him and his posts!!!
But my misfortune hasn’t struck me yet! I somehow landed on his post and I instantly remembered something similar I have read earlier. Nay, It was a ditto copy-pasted material, reproduced verbatim.
So I humbly asked the creator of the post, give due credit to the original authors who has undergone the labor pains of producing such a master piece that others are tempted to copy it.
AND SAVE-ME-LORD, All hell broke loose as if I had committed a dreaded blasphemy in this Church of Cheaters. One of the fan asked me to “Get Life” with all the contempt that he can gather. Other one went so far as to show me eyes and asked me (or dared me?) “Do you know who you are talking to??”. Now in India this VIP culture is not new. But there? amongst traders? The matter continued and I was called "Sick", “lowlife”, Drunkard" and what not and was loathed as if, not he, but I was the real culprit who gatecrashed the unabashed orgy of plagiarism and thievery!!!
Anyways I dug deep and soon found out that the fella has copied his each and every posts earlier.
Okey. Now coming to the point. I came across various instances of plagiarism in Indian traders community.

1. One well know youtuber, blogger was accused multiple times by other well know website of copyright infringement, to no avail.
    http://stocksonfire.in/category/stop-copying/

2. Recently the creator of well known software Amibroker - Tomasz Janeczko lashed out harshly against Indians. I really felt ashamed on reading his harsh words!
    http://rakesh-jhunjhunwala.in/amibroker-founder-accuses-indians-of-piracy-raises-hackles-of-investors-traders-for-racism/
    Now How this shameless stupidity prove very costly to investors.

3. India is way behind in R&D. Fundamentals affected.
    Few days back govt asked professors, lecturers from higher institutes in India to publish their papers in research journals. The intentions were to induce these highly intelligent (?) people to engage in research. Original Research. Believe me. Market always win. Soon the fake paid research journals cropped up every where. You need to pay them to “publish” your papers. They will submit the proof of publishing to Sarkari Babus, and get their promotions, increments etc.
    But from where to get the words on paper?? The photocopy shops (literary copying shopes) cropped up every where near the universities, institutes etc. If you are in Delhi and can go near DU or even JNU, you can Buy the thesis, papers and what not…that too cheap.
    We all very well know that behind almost all major MNCs of the world was a Brain who invented something new. Be it Google, Facebook, Microsoft, IBM, Ford, Pfizer etc. They all are based on solid commitment to R&D. And here we are, in India, where pharmacies made just generic drugs and fight IPR claims.
    Even amongst trader community, these days we have seen a lots of crop of online bloggers, youtubers. What most of them do is just copy others strategy, setup and pass it on as own. As noone of these “100% sure shot strategies” are never really tested by these pro tarders themselves, many novice tarders, and learners fell in their trap and loose money.
    Also if no one have noticed, not even a single Study, Indicator, chart style is ever invented by Indian or in India (Mr. Chande is exception). Why is that? Because we don’t want to open our minds and see beyond the obvious, to search for and reveal the next level of truths.
    We are just content with copy pasting and blindly following others.

2 Likes

Piracy is a necessary evil. In a country where most people make less than $2 a day you expect them to follow the “rules” and buy legit?

Even Hon. SC has allowed photocopying the study material. But this is different from piracy and plagiarism. It’s more about applying ones’ own mind than spending money

What do you expect from people who don’t have any interest but they just want to clear the course with minimum effort? Forget about thesis, research. People usually start studying before 1 day of exam using previous years papers. Nothing but rote learning. The education system is screwed with more than 100 people in a class and teacher who is there just for the salary.

Everyone just want to get the “best” grades.

2 Likes

There we see a difference between a post related to trading to help fellow traders and another one to satisfy a hurt ego.

Again I will repeat, get some peace. Good night.

Of course my ego is hurt.
And it clearly prompted me to write this article.
But I have tried at my level best to rise up the personal issues and give a broader context to the underlying issue.

But why are we discussing this on a trading forum? Facebook, Twitter ke liye aage se right le lo.

1 Like

Because, We traders are equally victim to these evils

I Up vote @maddy_Des for this excellent bring up.
Copy/Paste is OK, but people should give credit to the original author / website.
It’s sin stealing other’s work.

1 Like

Thanks

Very Relevant and mind opening article.

Duplicating others ideas without consent and republishing it for self popularity has become very common. Especially among Indian stock market gurus.

Most of the people who copy content, manage to get away with it. As, in the example you mentioned, the followers are ignorant of what is going on around them.

This kind of uncivil activity discourages authors and thinkers from creating more unique ideas . Many talented blog writers stop contributing on the public domain for the fear of being victimized again.

What I have noticed is, recently many blog writers are courageous to stand up to such injustice. Like in the blog you mentioned above, the readers are made aware of such plagiarism .

A small act of individual plagiarism has a wider negative impact by discouraging those thinkers and inventors that play a vital role for the enrichment of the society at large.

ALSO , you have not mentioned the guru / blogger in your example.

This again is indirectly encouraging them to commit the same offence again.

1 Like

Let bygones be bygones!!!
I would gain nothing from name & shame.
Actually he is very good-natured and his reactions on expose were very composed and civil.
It was the blind poor followers that pounced on me like hunt hounds.

1 Like

Consider a situation if some brokerage firm literary copys varsity for educational purposes only!!
Ironically on a very popular indian forum related to not-xo-xivil-xubject there is a big banner which say
"copyright violations strictly prohibited"
:stuck_out_tongue:

I know 2 such bloggers.
There was one very good trader. He used to write detailed analysis of Nifty daily at 7 A.M. and used to enjoy near legend popularity. What happened that few people started a copy-cat blogs and they started putting various variations of his analysis on multiple blogs. Now as we all know, nobody can predict the market with 100% surety. So the day he got his analysis wrong, naturally one of the variations must had hit bulls eye. They would start bad mouthing, propaganda etc.
Totally frustrated and depressed he closed down his blog. Soon other copy cats also disappeared having achieved their goal!!!
He never returned. This was in 2007/8

1 Like

Everything apart, I must say that you have a writing flair… you must give vent to this talent to trading topics/other topics…

@iSTFF
Thanks. :blush:
Planning to start a series on my blog for beginners soon.
As Sheldon once told Wolowitz - “Failed ones are always good teachers” :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes