Query on Currency derivatives trading post 04 April 2024 in view of RBI circular dated 05 Jan 2024

Atleast open up futures segment for cross currencies. The market that was trading INR cross will definately come here. Otherwise we all know the volumes will eventually go to dabba trading in India.

yes, how about 9 to 9 intraday trading atleast? there’s no need for rbi intervention in intraday speculation.

Even if RBI allows this, I dont see the volumes picking up. Even Retail ppl with reasonably high capital avoid intraday trading!

1 Like

Still no ans from sebi , nse, zerodha

1. When on jan 5 RBI has made clear that 5 april rule why was no communication from zerodha to trader regarding this we have taken new position after jan 5 .
    2 RBI dont send circular to traders
    And as trader we dont follow every circular from RBI .
    3 putting blame on trader for miscommunication from rbi and zerodha ??

Please see our story out today:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-12/fx-derivatives-fiasco-puts-spotlight-on-regulatory-risk-in-india?sref=PjiyIlX8

Grateful for any feedback.

3 Likes

Hi Rahul,

Stockbrokers could not have decided the interpretation of the RBI circular in an isolated silo. Since we are directly regulated by the stock exchanges & SEBI, whenever there are developments in the policy landscape, we need the stance taken in the capital market circulars issued. A lot of confusion could have been avoided industry-wide if the ramifications were considered timely.

But this is easier to speak of in hindsight, especially considering the ramifications of taking the incorrect stance when it comes to policy and regulations.

Thanks for writing the article

Zerodha Broking Ltd. warned its clients to close open positions

Statements from Zerodha and lot of brokers were that they would forcefully close positions on 4th April. There is a difference in warning and what they threatened to do initially. This may have contributed to panic and more volatality

The screenshots of Upstox, Dhan and Zerodha are available in this thread.

I have couple of points

1. Volumes on off shore markets and it’s implications.
  2. How volumes trade on exchanges determine in keeping usdinr price in check? I mean is there any relation where speculators volumes make it difficult to maintain desired usdinr price for RBI in spot.

HI Venu,

WHT ABOUT TRADING IN F&O DERIVATIVES? ANY REGULATOR RISKS HERE?

IF ANY REGULATIONS WILL THEY BE GIVEN SUFFICIENT TIME?

WHAT HAPPENS TO PREMIUMS WHEN REGULATOR SAYS ONLY SQUAREOFF NO FRESH POSITIONS? IMAGINE I HOLD PUT AND CALL WILL BOTH PREMIUMS FALL AND CONSIDERING BANKNIFTY LIKE SCENARIO WILL THERE BE ISSUE IN LIQUIDITY IN THAT CASE

You have to give a declaration that you have exposure in Jane street. :grinning:

too complicated, cant register just to read the article thats the prob with most websites they either need you to register or pay to view articles.
Now that the extension given by RBI is till 3 May what do you think RBI may come up with?

Given the kind of statements RBI has made till now it seems unlikely there would be any further extension. We’ll just have to see though when the date comes around.

1 Like

is VENU ZERODHA is there or not why no reply?, question is raised why they dont give there view, those ppl should know better than us they are in contact withSEBI and exchanges

i am just lucky i had the additional margins to keep the position holding in loss , and didnt square off, the MTM loss was huge 4-5 L and i decided to fill declaration form and wait till 26 Apr, markets recovered and yesterday everything got automatic settled at 2.2L profit. But it looks as if no other retailer did carry their positions and everyone panic closed in lossess or profit.

3 Likes

wht was ur expereince in such situtions? does both put and call premiums will both go down or both will increase?

in general scenario any one premium will go up right, but wht is the scenrio when they say no fresh positions

@VenuMadhav @mohitmehra Since tomo is the currency derivative deadline, want to clear a few things. What is Zerodha’s stance on auto square off in case of both “with declaration” and “without declaration”, assuming there are sufficient margins.

We will not square off any position. You can continue trading in CDS if you have provided the declaration to us. Even if you didn’t provide the declaration you can exit your open position any time but cant able to take any new positions.

4 Likes

Hi @VenuMadhav @mohitmehra, any updates on this?

@Ram_Awasthi please see this ^

Details are the same as our stance on 4th April 2024 - Change in eligibility to trade in currency derivatives

Is there any new update by rbi or they still stick to same old judgement