This is how mutual funds play the dirty game

NAV of this mutual fund show positive closing even after…
Infebeam drop more thn 74%
Jain irrigation drop more thn 15%
Dhfl drop more thn 5 %
Can anyone tell me how this possible?

You have missed the important points:

• Mutual fund holding is showing as on 31 Aug. 2018, Funds might have exited from many scripts earlier and had little or no impact on NAVs.

• It is only top 10 holdings, Mutual funds may have other shares and NAV is calcuated with consideration of all shares.

1 Like

Hmm, don’t think you understand the nature of the fund. This is not a pure long-only equity fund.

Edelweiss Equity Savings Fund

The investment objective of the scheme is to provide capital appreciation and income distribution to the investors by using equity and equity related instruments, arbitrage opportunities, and investments in debt and money market instruments. However, there can be no assurance that the investment objective of the Scheme will be realized or that income will be generated and the scheme does not assure or guarantee any returns.

This fund predominantly holds arbitrage positions. Long equity and short futures. Now, coming to your question. Here’s a screenshot from the monthly portfolio disclosure. Pay attention the category of the instrument and the value

These positions are hedged. You remember the text at the end of each mutual fund advertisement ‘Mutual fund investments are subject to market risks. Please read all scheme-related documents carefully before investing’

This is what that means. If you aren’t sure what fund to invest in, it’s always better to consult a fee-only mutual fund advisor.

http://www.edelweissmf.com/Funds/EdelweissEquitySavingsFund.aspx

Also, we had an AMA with Radhika Gupta, CEO of Edelweiss AMC on Arbitrage funds. If you are interested in learning more about them, then you can check them out here

https://tradingqna.com/t/ask-me-anything-about-arbitrage-funds/40190/35

4 Likes

Afraid not.

1 Like

Do ranking of Mutual Funds matter?
Shall I exit my MFs if there ranking fall.
I invested in few MFs year ago after looking at there ranking. They were top ranked. but now they are at bottom. WHat to do?
http://www.moneycontrol.com/mutual-funds/performance-tracker/returns/large-cap-fund.html

Which funds have you invested in?

Aditya Birla Sun Life Focused Equity Fund - Growth-Direct Plan

ICICI Prudential Value Discovery Fund - Direct Plan - Growth

Kotak Standard Multicap Fund-Direct-Growth

Mirae Asset India Equity Fund - Direct Plan - Growth

SBI Blue Chip Fund-Direct-Growth

Ratings don’t matter! In fact, they are the last thing you should be looking at. I am assuming you are investing in mutual fund with a long-term horizon in mind. If you are exiting your funds, just because the rating fall or the markets fall, then I don’t think you should be investing at all.

The right thing to do is to keep investing, keep increasing allocation regularly and sit tight. On the other hand, if you have the ability to pick your own funds, you should look at investing in Direct Plans you will save on commissions, which translates to higher returns.

2 Likes

But with so many options How to choose right MF.
And I am not referring to categories in general. There are like 10-20 MFs having same portfolio philosophy.
For eg. ther are 30-40 bluechip funds, 20-30 focused funds etc.

You have already chosen right? Just sit tight, that’s the hardest part.

Thanks for clarifying