Was There a Scam or Technical Issue with IDEA on the NSE on April 25th?

Several unusual events occurred with IDEA today. Could you please investigate the details, @nithin and Zerodha team? I will mention them one by one.

1. Order Execution Price Discrepancy: An individual reported that their pre-order was not executed at the correct price. This issue was highlighted through two Instagram posts. Anant Ladha on Instagram: "Operator game in Vodafone Idea - Live 😱" and Anant Ladha on Instagram: "Wait for the end - Must watch. Vodafone Idea operator drama 😱😱" (His buy orders were also executed at 12.55 instead of 11.8 INR)

2. Uniform Sell Order Execution: I held over 3.7 million shares of IDEA and placed sell orders in two batches. Both batches were executed at a price of INR 12.55, the first at 09:15:22 and the second at 09:15:32. It is unclear why all orders were executed at this identical price, mirroring the experience of the aforementioned Instagram user.

3. Market Depth Anomaly: Upon reviewing the market depth for IDEA on Zerodha around 09:08 and between 09:15 to 10:17, discrepancies were observed. The highest BUY bid was listed at INR 13, while the highest SELL bid was at INR 12. This anomaly was specific to the NSE market depth, as BSE’s data appeared accurate. Unfortunately, no screenshot was captured from Kite’s portal, but the “quote” data retrieved via API at 09:16:00 can provide insight into the market depth information returned by Zerodha.

4. First Minute Candle Observation: The first minute candle for IDEA at 09:15 opened at INR 11.8, marking a 10% decrease, and shortly after, it reverted to the previous day’s closing price. This rapid price movement raises questions about whether it was a normal market fluctuation or the result of a technical glitch in NSE.

Collectively, these points suggest a high likelihood of technical issues affecting the trading of IDEA stock.

1 Like

Hi @KD61

We have reported the issue with the exchange on this. Will update this thread.

Thank you. Please also let me know, If there was a “bug”, what will NSE do? I had 3.7 million quantity sold at 12.55 INR. IDEA is trading at 13.55 right now. Will NSE cancel all trades executed today or what?

If there was a bug, it seems unfair that the trades were executed at less than the actual market price. @Meher_Smaran

Zero Volume in nse 1 min candles why? BSE is fine though. (9:35-10:16 as well)

1 Like

in open price, there is huge variation as well, in NSE it is 13.75 and in bse it is 12.00.

I have no idea about pre open but from 9.15 No bug with related to traded prices but from around 9.35 feeds display was wierd for some time, after that they stopped trading for few mins and corrected it, guess latter volume display in depth is stuck, feeds and orders were fine.

This keeps happening but today the margin is much higher, it solely based on traders placing their bids and offers at different prices.

I also encountered something wired. Around 10:18 - 10:22 AM, my sell order which was pending at 14 INR got cancelled saying that the trading has been suspended. Sooner trading resumed and on NSE the day high was showing 14.4, before that it was 13.5. That means someone sold at that price and NSE allowed it. They wanted that party to sell at that higher price by cancelling our orders in the name of suspending. And there is no clarity on the halt. If the price touched that level naturally then my order should have executed and if there was any glitch then the price shouldn’t have spiked.

Glitch or Scam?

looks like glitch triggered by platform limitation. Volumes until 9.30 were ~2 billion, 32-bit representation will cause overflow, hence it could have caused 0 volume after that.
Even now (30 April 0030 hrs, and looking at historical chart volumes), it shows 0-volume after 9.35
NSE and brokers may not have acted on this as penny stocks don get traded in such huge volume. But IDEA went that way.
Was there any such scenario for stocks trading in 2Billion+ volume in a day? (they may have work-around for options which gets traded in Billions regularly on expiry days, but forgot about stocks or anything else)

3 Likes

The point is IDEA is not a penny stock and is listed in F&O too. MCAP is 87K Cr right now.

It’s price is like a penny stock. But volumes are insanely high

You got any response?

Checking this, @tallerballer

1 Like