10 Reasons why I haven't yet considered Zerodha Coin for Mutual Fund Investments

I love Zerodha Coin for one big reason that it consolidates all my investments in one platform, one time nominee. Also I believe buy it and forget it principle I don’t care about the issues you have mentioned.

Will explore this.

If I’ve understood this correctly, all this does is cause an investor guilt that he missed out on something. That does very little good to anyone.

@Bhuvan Sorry, my bad! I just noticed fund information page also shows “Internal rate of return” i.e IRR what I was asking for.

Please also discuss with the dev team on “withdraw to bank/ a/c” checkbox while redeeming.

48%20AM

And LAS for instant redemption (instead of T+X waiting period) as a secured loan to earn interest. This would be a revenue generation opportunity for Zerodha.

I too like it in parts and if you read the entire thread in detail, I have just highlighted areas that require immediate action to fix some basic needs, and feature suggestions which would be even more useful to investors and also give Coin an edge over the peers with revenue generation opportunity for Zerodha as well.

1 Like

@nithin you must start charging on zerodha to make it sustainable for future. You can’t survive on donations as there will be a lot of people who want it free and will not donate a penny. India loves free stuff. Providing best services with a fee is always better than making ends meet by making it free. And don’t forget, you guys have potential to disrupt the industry.

Just an assumption that, this post looks like, from one of the other MF Free platform competitors who are loosing out 10 CR annually. Now they are thinking about charging their clients for using their service. But they are afraid if their own clients will shift to Coin if they start charging fees. What do we do now? So, lets brainwash nithin and make him start charging for the COIN platform, so everyone else in the industry can make some money out of their own loosing platforms.

1 Like

From my point of view, even now, The COIN Mutual Fund investment platform has all the essential features required for a long term visionary of compounding wealth through Mutual Fund Investment.

1. Investment Platform from a Reputed Establishment.
  2. Cost Saving - Relevant for savers who are using Mutual Funds for a large investment pot.
  3. Easy setting up of a Bank Standing Instruction for SIP contributions.
  4. Availability of Direct Plans on the platform.
  5. Easy to print out the ELSS statement for tax filing.
  6. Summary to check Fund performance.

Anything more will be just an icing on the cake, from a seasoned Mutual Fund Investor’s point of view.

a likely launch quarter?

Can’t comment on the timelines. We’ll keep you posted.

I had Placed Redemtion Order in Coin , Where it says 5 days … this is 7th Day and the status still Show ’ Awaiting Payment From AMC’… Why This Coin Zerofha sucks Badly??

@nithin I am writing this as 2020 review to my first post in this thread which I had written back in June 2019. Let’s see what has changed in these 1½ years.

To begin on a good note, today the ratio of my mutual fund investments on Coin platform is higher than the Mutual Funds I hold in physical format. The only reason for switch which I had mentioned earlier is that I am consolidating everything on one platform. For convenience, and also to have a better understanding of applicable STCG, LTCG and compute Tax harvesting, if need be. 2020 so far has given me a good opportunity to sell-off physical units and rebalance my portfolio.

Now, that I have taken that leap of faith already in choosing Coin, let’s see those 10 reasons which were holding me back a year back, where they are as we speak:-

Not available yet.
This is the most crucial one. It took me a lot of discussions and debates, and arguments too, to convince Zerodha that to be in sync with SEBI cut-off timing is a basic right of an investor. And it ends there. I appreciate a positive response received from the team informally here on this forum as well as the official Zerodha support on Ticket No #20200921976293, dated Oct 9, 2020 confirmed that work is in the process to sync with SEBI cut-off timings.

But my last follow-up hasn’t been responded to. It’s been 3 weeks already.

To be in sync with SEBI cut-off is even more important because from 1 Jan, 2021 the NAV calculation would change. Investors would get allotted MF units on the NAV of the day funds are received by AMCs and not when the order was placed. So if the Zerodha cut-off timings are not the same as SEBI cut-off timings, the investor’s fund would be received by AMC with a delay, hence NAV would not be the same as expected. With Janurary 1st, around the corner, we are running short on time.

On this Christmas eve, I would like to believe that team Zerodha listens to me as Santa.

I hereby also request other users who believe in my words to raise a ticket from their respective accounts nudging Zerodha team to deliver ticket #20200921976293. Maybe that would help prioritize and expedite the process if more people demand it.

Not available yet.
The last update I had received on this was Zerodha team is working on this to allow switching from any fund to any fund. This would be a unique offering that no other platform is providing. Awaiting fingers crossed.

Not available yet.
Last I heard, team is working on providing instant withdrawal feature upto Rs 50,000.

I hope the team implements this as well.

Bank Mandate is available.
One can setup Bank mandate a day prior to SIP dates. Also, I had read somewhere on this forum that work is in progress for making it native bank to SIP feature. Awaiting.

This as discussed above is a challenge because of MF units held in Demat format and after market closes, the redemption order can’t be passed on to the AMC unlike Insta Redeem Liquid MF units held in physical formats. If this is a specific need of an investor to have an emergency fund or so, one better invests in such Insta Liquid Funds in Physical format (and not as Demat format on Coin) so that at the time of need, one can redeem units 24x7 and receive money in 30 minutes. I know it’s a little compromise to not be able to have everything in one place i.e. Coin. But until a real solution arrives, investing in such MF in physical format works.

This needs work. It’s partially done. No update since Feb 2020.

Not available yet.

For #6 and #7 I have imported my CAMS data on Kuvera that helps me visualise portfolio data into insights that help in decision making. Also their TradeSmart feature emails me when units of a MF can be redeemed without any exit load and to maximize the potential of tax-free LTCG upto Rs 1 lakh. I hope 2021 brings such features to Coin as well.

Now available on Coin.

Now available on Coin.

As I read in another thread, the team is working on alerting investors for crucial information when fund manager changes, or an addendum has been released etc that impacts an investor. This would be helpful. I look forward to 2021.

So here is the 2020 review of the asks:

Score:
2/10 for the features being made available.
2 more bullet points would receive half marks each for partial implementation.

Hoping 2021 would bring the better out of Coin. :pray:
Merry Christmas! :christmas_tree::santa:

6 Likes

It’s about time Zerodha show up with some progress on the coin platform. At Least roll out select features out of the above to say beta testers, if not yet ready for stable public release. Asking for ETA has no value :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would also like goal based tagging which is in works from 2 years to show up next year.

Great review, I agree with almost all of your points.

But my last follow-up hasn’t been responded to. It’s been 3 weeks already.

Did you follow up on this with them? Any updates?

Cut-off timings like 2:30 or 3:00 PM and direct bank SIP are two things that would really be great.

I have been following up on ticket no 20200921976293 since September 2020 to sync the cut-off timing to SEBI rules.

@siva it’s disappointing to see that lately the team stopped responding to my ticket. Hope you guys are not ignoring me? I have been keeping patience for a long. The least you could do is officially respond on the ticket.

Also, may I know why all of sudden Coin cut-off timing was changed to 1 pm on 2nd March 2021 without any reason?

@dufferZafar can you do me a favour? Can you raise a ticket from your account asking for a response on ticket # 20200921976293 on syncing cut-off time according to SEBI guidelines, and let me know if you receive any reply? Thanks.

2 Likes

@Bhuvan Can you get this checked.

@siva Can users of Coin be given the choice of buying MF units in either Demat or SOA form? There is currently one MF platform, RankMF providing this choice. Not sure if there are others. So, would Coin too provide this flexibility?

@Bhuvan ?

There are no advantages to us providing this and would just increase the operational complexity. It doesn’t really make sense.

1 Like

I suppose as a standalone platform coin is rather average, but it will still be popular bcz we can use investments via coin as Margin.