24 Things I Believe About Investing - By Ben Carlson

It is a natural practice,atleast for some of us :sweat_smile: to learn from our own mistakes. It’s inevitable - We will make mistakes in life, more so in markets due to obvious reasons of greed and fear. But, One good thing that we can all try to do - which can help us in the long run is to maybe learn from experiences shared by others. Who knows, We might just avoid repeating the mistakes if we keep some of the useful things in mind.

I’ve recently read this very crisp and insightful post by Ben Carlson about what he believes about Investing.

I’m Sharing the main lines of all 24 things that he shared about Investing. Would recommend you to check out the full article to get more context.

Here are some things I believe about investing.

1. I believe simple beats complex.

2. I believe the timing of buy or sell decisions matters less than your holding period.

3. I believe you should ignore what billionaires and legendary investors think about the markets.

4. I believe self-control can make you far more money than just about any other trait as an investor.

5. I believe every investor in risk assets should be comfortable seeing their money incinerated on occasion.

6. I believe being bullish or bearish matters less than progress towards your goals.

7. I believe risk management is important but you have to take risk to make money.

8. I believe process is more important than outcomes but at some point performance matters.

9. I believe a good strategy you can stick with is vastly superior to a great one you can’t stick with.

10. I believe it’s basically impossible to forecast the economy.

11. I believe it’s much easier to explain what just happened than predict what will happen next.

12. I believe defining what you won’t invest in is more important than what you will invest in.

13. I believe there are many different paths to being a successful investor but only a handful of ways to fail.

14. I believe markets are right most of the time but not all the time.

15. I believe fighting the last war can get you into trouble.

16. I believe every investor has their own behavioral blindspots.

17. I believe a long time horizon is the ultimate equalizer in the markets.

18. I believe useful investment advice is nearly impossible to accept during booms and busts.

19. I believe long-term returns are the only ones that matter but you have to survive the short-term.

20. I believe most disagreements about markets come down to differences in time horizon and risk tolerance.

21. I believe nothing about investing is ever easy, but we still make it harder than it has to be.

22. I believe optimists are better investors than pessimists.

23. I believe doing nothing is the best investment decision most of the time.

24. I believe it’s OK to build wealth slowly.

Someone once asked Jeff Bezos the best advice he ever received from Warren Buffett. Bezos asked Buffett if his investment ideas are so simple and he’s so rich why doesn’t everyone copy him?

To which Buffett replied, “Because nobody wants to get rich slow.”

None of us are going to be the next Buffett but this idea is more realistic than assuming you can get rich overnight.

6 Likes

He started young and still alive at 93. We want the money when we have the energy and time to spend it not when we are close to 60 with hardly any energy left. I can expect ton of counters to this but that’s my take.

1 Like