80C deduction after claiming rebate

Hello. Just wanted to clear some doubts in some scenarios.

1. Assume my total income is 6.5L. It is only capital gains. Nothing else. I claim ELSS deduction of 1.5L. My taxable income becomes 5L.

So if I choose the old regime, the tax I have to pay is 0? (due to 87A rebate being upto 5 lakhs in old regime)

The only doubt I had is if I can claim both rebate and ELSS exemption, effectively making my income tax free upto 6.5L if I use ELSS under 80C.

2. Assuming above is true, if my income becomes 6.51 lakh, can I claim 87A rebate?
    In this case, even after 80C deductions, my income is 5.01 lakhs. Can I claim rebate even then and pay tax only on 0.01 L ?

3. My only income is from capital gains. If I compare slab wise, the rate is 5% or 10%. But LTCG is at 10% and STCG is at 15%. What rate do I pay tax at? No other income.

Do LTCG and STCG rates apply only if I cross those rates on the income tax slab first?

Hey @tallerballer,

Chapter VI-A deductions that include deductions like 80C, 80D etc., are not available in case of capital gains. Hence, you will not be able to claim the ELSS deduction.

Moreover, Rebate u/s 87A is not available on LTCG from equity shares or equity-oriented mutual funds (Section 112A).

A ₹1L exemption is available on LTCG and gains in excess of ₹1L will be taxed at 10%. Moreover, STCG will be taxed at 15%. Basic exemption limit of 2.5L is applicable on both LTCG and STCG.

Hope this clarifies !

Thanks for a quick and detailed reply Quicko!

I read your article on 87A (this). In that only LTCG is mentioned.

So if I pick new regime, and I have salary, FD interest, equity STCG upto 7 lakhs, my tax is 0?
When I input the same into your tax calculator, when my income is below 7 lakhs, it shows tax payable. This amount is being shown when I show large capital gains (like 5L).-
Rebate is related to salary amount, or tax payable? If tax payable is 25k, I can claim rebate as long as it is not LTCG

I think I understood. Tax rebate is when tax payable is 25k. Upto 7 lakhs is applicable only if salary. Since I am having STCG, I reach the 25k tax payable before reaching 7 lakhs income (since STCG is at 15% and salary tax slab is at 5 or 10%).

Will be helpful if you can confirm this understanding @Quicko

Hey @tallerballer,

Rebate u/s 87A is available on an income of up to 5 lakh rupees under the old regime and up to 7 lakh rupees under the new regime. If your income exceeds the limit, rebate will not be available.

Hope this helps!

The calculator on your website is not saying the same when I have only STCG of 7 lakhs. Not allowing me to claim rebate even when it is 7 lakh and no LTCG

Hey @tallerballer,

You are getting a rebate of ₹25,000 (which is the maximum one can claim) and hence, your tax liability becomes ₹35,000 on which the 4% health and education cess is applicable. This brings your total tax liability to ₹36,400.

Hope this clarifies!

2 Likes