A Noob's guide to Intra-Depository (CDSL to CDSL) SGBs transfer from one Demat Account to another

Writing this because I couldn’t find a guide for this when I wanted one. Most were inter-depository which didn’t help much. The process is similar to transferring shares but as a noob, I didn’t know & it didn’t provide much clarity. So this is a guide, by a noob, for other noobs.

I had an Angel One account & a newly opened Zerodha account. When I bought SGBs, only Angel one was active which is why I had to buy the SGBs in that account due to the purchase closing window.

Sadly, I didn’t like Angel later because of their vintage user experience, lack of security & sneaky data collection because of which I wanted to shift & close that account. Arose the need to transfer SGBs.

I contacted Angel but for closure-cum-transfer, they wanted snailmail which is something I wouldn’t prefer doing, so I wanted to do everything online. If I would transfer SGBs myself, then Angel will close the account with just an email, so that seemed like the best way.

Luckily, most new age brokers seem to use CDSL, so if you’re lucky, you’ll have to follow this simple process & not the inter-depository one.

I’m writing this as a first time user, others can chime in to improve/rectify anything in these steps:

1. Sign up on CDSL Easiest. AFAIK, Easi = Easiest Lite. It’s a version of Easiest with limited features, so for full control, sign up on Easiest.

2. Follow any of the guides on YouTube & use your old demat account details while registration.

3. In the sections after sign-up where you’re needed to link your BOIDs & map accounts, add the new account to which you want to transfer the SGBs.

4. It might take a day or two for full authentication & approval from the entities after which you’ll be able to transact. You’ll receive an email once it’s approved. You’ll also receive the PINs/passwords which you’ll need later for the transaction.

5. Go to Easiest’s Transaction > Setup > Bulk Setup to setup the transfer. Follow the steps here to initiate the transfer.

6. Once done, it’ll take a day or two for the transfer to complete. You’ll get emails with updates.

7. Once the transfer is done, you’ll see in the Kite app’s portfolio tab the SGBs but they’ll show a warning sign. This is just because Zerodha doesn’t have the original purchase details. Click on the holding, click on the option to rectify the discrepancy.

8. It’ll ask for the original purchase date & price. Enter that & it’ll take sometime for Zerodha to rectify the values.

9. Once done, they’ll show up as normal holdings with the purchase value, current value etc.

10. And it’s done.

3 Likes

Even when moving from Zerodha account to another Zerodha account, CDSL transfer is better than using Zerodha gift feature due to a poor implementation logic in the gift shares feature

Another important thing to highlight is that CDSL is very confusing w.r.t passwords. There are three passwords. This was extremely confusing for me and I failed to transfer many times because of this.

1. CDSL Easiest login password - The password to login
  2. TPIN - The password to authenticate transfer. 6 digit numeric pin. We use this same pin when selling shares.
  3. Alpha numeric password - This is different from login password and TPIN. It is a alpha numeric PIN used at the last stage of password. This is present in the mail you receive after signing up for CDSL easiest. You can also reset this with security questions.

The alpha numeric PIN was the most confusing part. I was going on entering my TPIN again and again and the account got locked.

1 Like