Aditya Birla Money - SEBI fines 1.02 crore to this brokerage

Markets regulator Sebi on Monday slapped a total fine of over Rs 1 crore on Aditya Birla Money Ltd for violation of several market norms, including stock broker regulations.

What bothers me is this brokerage firm is owned by the reputed and well known Aditya Birla Group. The name of Tata and Birla were synonymous for integrity and trust and it bothers me no end as to the things this brokerage firm has done.

The main issue that SEBI found were

It misled the clients by understating losses and overstating profits, the watchdog’s findings observed.

During inspection, 160 instances were observed where securities were transferred from client demat to pro account.

It has done Portfolio Management Services for clients without entering into any agreement, in violation of stock broker norms.

Aditya Birla Money did not have adequate systems and internal controls to ensure due skill, care and diligence in conduct of its business and dealing with their clients, Sebi noted.

I wonder what happened to this well known and well established brokerage house that they would go so low and do things which a fly by night operator will do. Remind me of Karvy. Just cannot fathom how in the world these things happen in India when it is owned by Groups like Aditya Birla.

I tend to believe now what Saurabh Mukerjee says in India there are only a handful of companies who are clean and management integrity is absolute.

It is unbelievable that they do not care about the brand. Look at FT, what a brand name they had and what it is now in India I mean.

Every single day, losing trust in AMC and MF.

Moral of the story is that the customers like me, should be monitoring what I buy and sell and ensure that the monies debited and credited and shares debited and credited in DEMAT account is correct.

It is a shame, whoever has resorted to this and brought a brand name to this status. Hope retail investor did not lose money.

3 Likes

++1

Its (sadly) amazing, the way common man is taken for granted by institutes we trust.

Picked up another article about this Group on how they charge expense ratio on their funds.

After reading all this, retail investors are not only subject to genuine market risk (ups and downs) but now we should be worried about brokers also. What all things should we keep a tab on.

I think the best option is to move to SBI Securities, at least it would be safer I presume - The minimum they will not do is move our shares to their own and do these dirty things.

What is even more confounding is that if a famous person spits on the road, the entire gamut of journalist will be sitting in front of the person house seeking information, there will be endless debates on TV and people go hyper etc They will pretend to be the judge and the jury. However when these things happen, it is only news item. No one bothers to go and ask or interview or run behind the car of their CEO to take his mug pic. Nothing - Why

2 Likes

It’s hard to accept the sad reality of today’s world.
We do not know whom to trust and whom to believe not just in the financial markets but in literally everything.
Each and every day, it’s getting harder to have a peaceful life in this world.
It’s sad to accept the fact that some people are just destroying everyone else for their own benefits and making this place uglier.
Some are just evolving backwards.
We must stop this.

1 Like

Never ever give PoA. If the brokerage house insists on it, find another broker. I admire and trust Zerodha majorly for this reason alone. SEBI has plugged most of the loopholes, Prudently keeping an eye on Depositories debit/credit statement is part of financial discipline. Never take it for granted.

Yes, true. Don’t give POA to anyone.
Read the documents carefully and beware of all the rights that you are giving to the institution like you authorise them to sell your holdings when you give POA.

Check your holdings/transaction/contract note/ledger regularly and don’t do something that you do not understand. Like people take advantage of you when you don’t know anything cause even if they do something wrong you will not realise and by the time you get to know about this, everything’s over!
Always be cautious and blindly dont trust anyone.
Be safe!
( I’m not talking about any broker but it’s just common thought on overall industry)

This is what i follow in my life and helps to get peace:

• If you see any issues and cheating or any things which you don’t like . Raise it with the proper forum /PIL etc. Fight till the level you can. Don’t let it consume you as this would be just blip in long run and whatever checks and balances needs to happen will happen. Every individual is insignificant in this vast universe.
  • Every individual is just a small cog in this vast system. CEO are there for decisions ,strategy and creating culture. In vast organisation there is always some level of corruption and politics driven by self interest. Organisation are run by each and every individual , single person can’t run that alone or influence much in his capacity.
  • There is always some good or bad about any organisation and everything is fluid/dynamic. our brains are wired to weight bad instance higher than good. Try to see good things and weight higher than bad aspects.
  • What ever status quo we have now will remain (whether we like or not) until better system/technology /culture is ready to replace. Nothing is perfect and never will be.
    *If organisation don’t change and don’t adapt it will die in sometime . The pace at which org failing is the fastest at this time due to transparency and knowledge transfer happening due to internet.
  • Whatever happen will gonna happen so just find the way to enjoy the ride.Worry will just lead lost opportunities and fun. Biggest Risk is not taking any Risk at all. Enjoy!
1 Like

Fully agree.

This might be apt here in stock market.

“Even defaulting company might look like a multi bagger” Don’t believe in anything
“Even illogical tipsters might look like stock market legends” Don’t believe in anyone.

1 Like

There are plenty of options - Stockholding Corporation of India, SBI cap securities, Bob capital markets, IDBI capital, Can Money
But they’re all Full Service Brokerages. I wish there’s a discount broker from Public sector.
But looking at the way GOI is going for disinvestment it’s unlikely.