Algo streatgy process guide

Dear All,

Need some guidance in the process of creating a profitable streatgy which works with algo.

In my case Streak algo.

I am asking what is the process? Need guidance in that.

My Streatgy works for me when I sit and trade manually.

But same streatgy doesn’t work on algo.

Say in 12 month backtest it give very good return in few months, ok in some months and negative in few months.

Now what process do you guys follow for back test, refinement, tweaks etc so that all months remains decently profitable.

I am trying with nifty options, so i assume a 10 % per trading session means on an average around 150% returns should come back.

Currently some of my Streatgy give similar, returns but failed in few months.

So how to design an algo streatgy, so that aggregate it remains profitable in all the months.

1 Like

Hi @Rajesh_K1

Developing a successful strategy requires careful analysis, backtesting, refinement, and an understanding of market conditions. Let me break down the key points and provide more details on each aspect:

1. A single strategy will not work in all market conditions: It’s important to understand that a single strategy may not work effectively in all market conditions. Different market environments demand different approaches. For example, a strategy that performs well in a trending market might not generate satisfactory results during periods of high volatility or consolidation. Hence, it’s important to adapt your strategy to various market scenarios or in fact consider having multiple strategies to address different market conditions.
  1. Analyse Backtest results with charts: Pay close attention to the charts to understand how your strategy performed under different market conditions. Identify patterns, strengths, and weaknesses in the strategy’s performance. For instance, locate the trades where the strategy generated huge losses or max drawdown, and go to that period on the chart and see what went wrong, use this information to modify and enhance the strategy accordingly. By doing this repetitively you can refine your approach, and improve the strategy’s adaptability and profitability over time.

Having said that, as mentioned in point 1, it is not a realistic expectation to assume that a strategy should be profitable in all the months.

1. Common reasons why strategy PnL can be negative and their solutions: We have elaborated on this point in detailed in the following blog, do give a read - Streak Help

2. How to optimize your strategy: First and foremost it’s important to understand the assumptions taken while backtesting and accordingly analyze the results and go forward with optmising it. You can refer to this link(Backtest - Streak Help) to understand the assumptions taken when you backtest on the Streak Platform.

Additionally, you can watch this webinar https://youtu.be/ew0gxDTJpaM where we have covered the approach towards building a Basic Strategy from Scratch and the process to Improvise and Optimize a strategy

Hope you find this helpful :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s an excellent explanation.

@Technical_trader thank you :+1:

Lot of good things about streak, but if i have to list the worst thing i would say lack of visual confirmation of backtest.

Your point number 2 where I struggle most , and I am sure most of other do too.

Squeezed half page No Indicator chart and on that small illegible fonts to see the backtest Entry / Exit/ SL is very insufficient, when you compare rest of the streak features. Why you left visual backtest with charts half baked ?
Basically it says now that you have made a strategy, I challenge you to figure out what went wrong, dare you to find out. :grinning:

Still I am fighting to figure out what went wrong entry by entry matching with my zerodha ChartIQ chart with indicators that i have used in the strategy.

Something like this required on first priority.

I mean how can we backtest a strategy based on indicators and then checking on chart with no indicators.
this deter many from continuing and backoff after the first month subscription.

Most of the Streak subscribers are non programmer crowd and they need visual confirmation.

Rest all of your pointers are excellent and will be working on those to smoothen the process.

Hi,

Thank you for your valuable feedback and suggestions. I have noted it down and shared it with the relevant team, we will explore the possibilities to address this. We do have a few updates in the roadmap that would help users in gaining better insights from their backtest results. Stay tuned for that :slightly_smiling_face:

Until then, I would like to highlight that you can open the current transaction chart in a new tab with a full-screen mode which would allow you to view the labels and signals with ease.

1 Like

any update on this?