Ask us anything about investing in government bonds, treasury bills (t-bills) and state development bonds (SDLs)

The interest is paid out semi-annually. There are no Govt bonds that pay monthly interest.

1 Like

Yes theoretically it is possible but you will have to go through the pain of identifying 12 different GOI bonds that mature in various different months from Jan to Dec and purchase them at the right prices to create a monthly pay out ladder with your desired yield…

1 Like

I am trying to buy GSec Bond in Coin but i never see the option available. it says “There are no issues open currently. The bidding opens again next Tuesday” yesterday was Tuesday and Holiday today is Wednesday and i see that Gov Sec Bond biding is open for this week? Am i doing something wrong ?

This will open tomorrow due the holiday yesterday.

Hi, I am entirely new to to T-bill investing. Want to understand how this works. I purchased a 91 day T-bill on 28th march, and 10 days later I received the invested amount at a discounted rate. Why did I receive this amount? Was my bid rejected?

2 Likes

Hello, cannot invest in G-sec’s via coin today, i’m getting the message " There are no issues open currently. The bidding opens again next Tuesday. Click here to know more about the upcoming issues." Today is a Thursday and I don’t want to wait for next week’s issue. Please clarify ASAP

This week’s issue had opened and closed yesterday due to the holiday shortened week :frowning:

Today is 11th April 2023 Tuesday 9:30am. Why am I facing this issue?

Hi @Arnab_Sadhukhan

They will be updated by 11 AM today. You can check the issuance calendar for this week here

T-bills are issued at a discount to par value, and upon expiry, they are redeemed at their actual value.

1 Like

Takes some time for the exchanges to issue a circular. Check now.

Thanks. Now it’s showing. Can you please tell me why the short dated gsecs are not available to pledge for margin in zerodha?

I recall a thread on this (not able to find it now).

One of the reasons given was
the work involved is too much of a hassle
for very little gain when done for securities that mature very soon (eg. a 90-day T-bill).

Yes I know t-bills are not allowed to pledge. But by short dated gsecs I mean maturity in 3/5 years which are not allowed to pledge as well. Only muturity in 10 years or more are pledgable. idk why.

2 Likes

Wow are you sure. I saw in cash collateral list and they are there. Thanks for letting me know in advance i was thinking of buying gsec for pledging purpose.

2 Likes

Can the above be pledged for margin? @Bhuvan

Is this true?

If this is true, my plan of buying 2026 gsec for cash equivalent collateral flopped before it even began.

1 Like

I have placed an order for t-bills, where to add funds? can’t find any add funds option on the coin app, should I add funds on the kite app?

yeah add funds to your trading account.

1 Like

Securities in this list can be pledged. “NEWGS” means new govt bonds, they may take time to be accepted for pledging by the clearing corporation.