Ask us anything about investing in government bonds, treasury bills (t-bills) and state development bonds (SDLs)

You can buy them in kite

1 Like

Hi Yogesh, you can invest in the GS (Government Securities) mentioned above through Kite. Simply search for 915GS2024-GS and place an order, just like buying stocks on Kite.

You can learn more about G-Sec’s here: Government Securities – Varsity by Zerodha

1 Like

How can one choose a bond if its rated highly say AA or AAA but unsecured vs. comparatively low rated bond but secured.

I have a question
Can someone explain the pricing of Gsec Like currently if I place an order for 741GS2036 via Coin the margin required is 11,132 for 100Q i.e., 111.32 each however the same is available at NSE for 106.65 each.

1 Like

Ultimately, everything depends on the fundamental soundness of the company. Saying AA secured is better than AAA unsecured isn’t right. You have to make a case by case judgement.

The exchanges block an extra amount because the allotment price will be discovered in an RBI auction. The final allotment price will be around the indicative yield (price). The difference will be refunded back to you.

G-Secs are not traded enough and are illiquid. So the prices you see on Kite can be very off. So please verify the prices with the prices on NDS-OM :: RBI NDS-OM - Central Govt. Mkt. Watch ::

1 Like

Hi Bhuvan - I had bought Karnataka SDL about a year, don’t see any updated price in my kite console. How do I see the latest price and how I can liquidate these if needed?

Most of these SDLs, even though they are listed, don’t trade. This is why you aren’t seeing a price. But to get a broad sense of the value of your bond, check this page
https://www.ccilindia.com/Research/Statistics/Pages/TenorwiseIndicativeYields.aspx

Unless, there are volumes on the exchanges, you will have to hold them i’m afraid.

@Bhuvan :- I have question about the bond market in general. Why is the bond market so fragmented and worse that retail is left out from participation. In liquidity perspective its a headache for retail to dispose off bonds.

I mean one there is CCIL where the lot size is way high only for big institutions to play around along with HNI and VHNI. There isn’t much liquidity in odd lots at all

Another market is NSE where RBI thinks bonds must rotate among retailer but no retailer wants to hold bonds for long time and hence illiquidity

My question why cant they bring one stop market like in CCIL maybe reduce lot size so that big institutions can sell/buy from retailers ? I know even RBI buys back bonds from CCIL, why cant they reduce lot size so that even retailers get the benefit?

The challenge with bonds is not the lot-size, that is solved already on BSE/NSE.
As is evident from NSE/BSE there is not much participation even with reduced lot-size.

The challenge is the sheer number of bonds.
Take the case of Govt. bonds itself.
There are more than 1500 Govt. bonds that offer the same level of sovereign guarantee
just with varying returns and maturity schedules.

IMHO, it is not possible for individuals to monitor that many number of bonds manually.
AFAIK, there aren’t any popular products
that allow individuals to express their interest in the bond market.

I think there is a need for a product
that enables an indvidual to say the following -

Hello other individuals on the exchange,
i have N Lacs and i will buy any bond in this list [A, B, C, …] you may sell
that mature anytime upto the next X years
at a rate such that i effectively receive atleast Y % (dividend + capital-gains)

Note: I end-up doing part of the above using a script that monitors Ask/Bids on NSE/BSE,
and manually placing bids using Limit orders whenever someone offers Govt. bonds on the exchange.

IIUC, the challenge in creating the above product is NOT the tech.
Rather, consider an user that has cash N lac,
how does one provide them a margin to simultaneously bid for (Delivery order) of N lac on 100-200 similar bonds,
with the assumption that the user is happy to purchase a total of N lac worth of any of these bonds.
(i.e. buy N lacs worth of any of the bonds on the user list that get offered for sale on the market first.)

Note, that it is important to not just enable the user to buy the bonds,
but, also important to publicly express their interest to buy certain bonds.
i.e. enable the user to simultaneously bid on each of the bonds in the market
so that any potential sellers of any of the bonds know that that there is interest in buying at a specific rate.

Another, subsequent challenge is the tight circuit-limits (5-10%) in exchanges around bonds
that prevent buyer-seller interested at trading bonds at a significant discount / premium.

This isn’t just in India but globally. Liquidity on the exchanges is almost nonexistent. Even in the US, there are numerous off-exchange venues and platforms like Tradeweb to solve this issue.

Lot sizes aren’t an issue, as @cvs mentioned. The minimum investment in Govt bonds is Rs 10,000. Plus, SEBI recently reduced the face value of privately placed corporate bonds to Rs 1 lakh from Rs 10 lakh. This may reduce further.

It’s the other way around. Since bonds, by their nature are meant to be held to maturity, I dont think expecting them to trade as actively as stocks is the right expectation.

This fragmentation is an issue. Today, all govt bonds trade on NDS, a platform run by RBI/CCIL. At the same time, all those bonds are also listed on NSE and BSE. So the same set of bonds are trading on two separate platforms. In an ideal world SEBI and RBI should work together to remove this framentation.

I placed an order for gsec on coin web, how will i pay for it? Does it get deducted from my balance on kite or do i need to pay coin seperately or directly from my bank account?

The investment amount for G-Secs will be debited from your trading account balance.

I have a question here. Commercial banks always are looking to buy bonds to maintain SLR, RBI buys bond from secondary market too. Is there a way retail can sell bonds to these big institutions,? This should solve liquidity issues. I am asking in CCIL market not off market

CCIL trade generally happens in lot size of 5Crs. Pretty tough for retailers to participate in that lot size.
There is an odd lot market for smaller size, but again there are too many complexities for average retailer to participate in it.

that exact lot only I was saying why they cant reduce it to minimum 10,000 . If CCIL reduces that then retail can easily participate in bond market

Hi , I see an error in SDL date and it is not listed today 3rd July and instead marked as 6th July, Can you correct this, I see right info at RBI press release data

Hi @Ashwin_Raj

As per the issuance calendar, July 4th is the auction date. The bids close one day prior to the auction date. (i.e., today)

I had bought RBI bonds in Feb, but the interest is still not credited, usually credited around July 1st, any one else facing this same issue, do you know who to contact? Pls help, thanks!

@ShubhS9

Hi , if i bought Gsec at the price of 103 and bond face value is 100.
When it gets mature , will I got my 103 or 100 at the time of maturity?
If we got only 100 face value so I lost extra 3 rupee ?