Can equity holdings be used as collateral margin for commodity trading instead of cash pay in?

Yes, you could pledge your equity shares and raise margins to trade in the Commodity segment. However you are required to keep cash for the sake of ‘mark to market’.

However it would depend on your broker whether or not he’s providing such service.

If I used my stock portfolio holdings as colateral and say utilize the extra margin received then is there any interest that Zerodha will charge me for using the extra margin?

Hi Nithin, does Zerodha provide this facility?

Just noticed Venu that you are the compliance office of Zerodha…so, does Zerodha provide this service?

For now we aren’t. Will keep you posted when we start accepting equities as collateral for trading in Commodities.

If their is 100 qty holding in NSE and 50 qty holding in BSE then at all exchange all segments and all products level how much maximum collateral benefits will that user get ?

150 or 100

@VM1 When can we expect this feature from Zerodha? Having collateral margin but not being able to trade in commodity segment is miss