Can i trade with ten thousand ?

I am currently in my final of B.SC and i saved the sum of rupees 10,000 for learning trading. I just want to learn intraday trading in stocks and money management. I don’t want to do f&o. My concern is whether this 10,000 is enough for intraday stock trading or do i have to increase the amount and please suggest me to some youtube channels which give insights only to intraday stock trading (not f&o) .Also update this 10,000 is enough to do swing trading because the kind of funds people deploy in f&o is staggering for me.Kindly advise.

Hi @learn_now

Of course, you can trade with 10k

In fact, for the first few years, your focus should be on learning as much as possible by deploying as little money as possible.

All the best and we hope to see you regularly on TradingQ&A

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Since you are doing intraday, I would suggest that you buy a mutual fund with 10k, then pledge it in Zerodha.

Zerodha holds mutual funds in demat mode, you can pledge it and get margin.

This margin is fake money. You can trade to it’s equivalent.

Eg: You pledge 10k of mutual fund units. You will get 9k of margin which you can only use intraday (not for buying stocks to hold). Since intraday gives 5x leverage, you can use it to buy stocks worth 45k intraday.

5x leverage is only for intraday. If you put ₹5, you can trade (intraday) for ₹25 in some stocks.

What happens if you make a loss in intraday? You have to deposit the losses as actual money (via UPI, etc). Pledging is just a safe guard if you don’t repay. You still have to repay losses if you pledge.

Be careful with leverage. It amplifies your profits by 5x, but also loss by 5x. Can get you into a sticky situation easily.

Just follow simple rules

1. Just don’t buy any course, even if jhunjhunwala himself comes and asks you to buy it.
  2. Don’t borrow money from friends/apps to trade. You will lose it
  3. Don’t trade with college fees/daily expenses, i.e money you can’t afford to lose
3 Likes
  1. For learning, smaller the better. You will lose for first few years so no point in paying more.
  2. For full time trading, this is too small. So after say 3-5 years IF you are able to find something that works, 10k wont be nearly enough to trade with. I dont think even 10L is enough to be worth it. Its a waste of time, i think you should focus on their actual career and make money there.
  3. Know that most people lose money in trading. Only 2% make more than FD over 3 years as per zerodha boss. 98% people are wasting time and money.
  4. For small capital, zerodha is bad choice - brokerage is extremely high.

Unless you have capital available from family and are really interested in trading and are reading to invest multiple years required, my advise would be to not trade and focus on career. There is no easy money here. You can ofc trade with small capital on sideline, but i dont think intraday can be done along with work.

Finally, with enough capital, experience, reasonable expectations, focus on risk, focus on compounding, an edge(s), comfort with uncertainty, no immediate income requirement, etc - its possible to make a living out of trading.

1 Like

True, plus account opening charge would have been 2% of his capital too.

my suggestion would be don’t do intraday as of now. Otherwise if you see a big loss any day you will lose interest in market and you will leave market soon. Do positional trading and do not use leverage at all. You should make habit of Not using leverage or borrowed money from day 1.

Thanks for all your valuable time and info.

1 Like

you can. I also started with 25K in 2014. But a lot has been changed since. Earlier margin was easily available and I could buy upto 2-3 lakhs with 25k or even if my balance was negative. But with new margin rule, it is extremely difficult to get leverage. There is MIS but very limited help.

Try to trade in stocks with low volume where High-Low difference is considerable, because in Index or F&O Stocks, limited movement will be there and intraday profit will be very less.

Z brokerage is too expensive for intraday with low capital.

Ok for learning, but not if one is trying to make money.
Once we scale up, its probably the best - very stable.